Beginning in the final week in November of 1900 and lasting until mid-February of 1901, an outbreak of seventy-five (75) cases of scarlet fever overwhelmed the Pennsylvania Soldiers' Orphans Industrial School. Since its founding on June 1, 1895, the former Alexander Stewart farmhouse had provided staff housing and served as the school hospital.
The school was founded to care for and educate orphans of fallen soldiers of the Civil War. With forty-eight (48) quarantined students in early 1901, the need for a larger hospital was urgent. The new hospital pictured above contained a boys' and girls' wing on the first floor, with a central treatment room between the wings. The second floor cupola contained the nurse quarters. The hospital served the school for sixty years.