Effective Sept. 21, 2019, Beacon will begin using Change Healthcare’s InterQual
medical necessity criteria. Using nationally recognized criteria is consistent with mental health parity requirements. Beacon is committed to strengthening and enhancing clinical quality by leveraging this best-in-class, evidence-based criteria.
This month, we are notifying all of our clients by certified mail, and we will update our websites in September to reflect this new information.
- Accounts that require use of state-specific or other medical necessity criteria are not impacted.
- Substance Use criteria are not impacted (ASAM/LOCADTR/TCADA or other state criteria remain the same).
- Other processes and workflows remain the same (such as the authorization process); only the criteria are changing.
- Providers should not submit authorization requests through InterQual. The Beacon authorization process remains the same.
Want a learn how to use InterQual medical necessity criteria? Sign up for a training:
If you have any questions, please call the National Provider Service Line at 800-397-1630. Thank you for being a valued provider in the Beacon Health Options network.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access InterQual?
Starting Sept. 21, 2019, use a computer with high-speed internet
Open one of these browsers:
- Internet Explorer 11
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
Click the InterQual link at the top of the page
5. Click the Registration tab at the top of the page
6. Insert your email address, password, first name, and last name, and click the Register button
Can I use a dial-up connection to access InterQual?
access InterQual using a
Can I use the Safari browser to log in to InterQual?
Safari browser to log in to InterQual. The Safari browser is the native browser on iPhones, iPads, and other Apple products.
Can I use my Beacon ProviderConnect or eServices credentials to log in to InterQual?
No. You must register with InterQual through the Beacon website and use your InterQual credentials to log in.
Can I submit authorization requests through InterQual?
No. The Beacon authorization process remains the same.