JOIN US - VOICE YOUR OPINION
on the proposed demolition of the former DSS office located at 200 E. Main Street
Tuesday, November 12, 2013 @ 6:00 pm
Human Services Building, Countywide Meeting Room A
414 E. Main Street
Durham County Government is holding a public input session regarding the proposed demolition of this building, located at 200 E. Main Street, for the creation of a public plaza.
Why this issue matters:
- This is an awful location for a plaza. Constant street noise and exhaust from the Durham Freeway and Roxboro Street will omnipresent and will not support a relaxing atmosphere.
- What purpose does the proposed plaza serve that is not already met by CCB Plaza, American Tobacco and other downtown open spaces?
- Demolition will further reduce the connections from Downtown Durham to East Durham and Golden Belt
- Demolition does not support the Downtown Durham Master Plan which specifically sets out the need for connectivity along main street. A gap where this building is would be would further decrease the number of people on E. Main Street, and the number of people willing to venture east.
- Creation of a public plaza, that does not generate tax revenue and requires continual maintenance, is not in the best fiscal interest of the City or County.
- Demolition will erase part of Durham's history
- Demolition will decrease the supply of office space, and further increase downtown rents
- Rental office space or sale of the building
- Selling the building would bring further commercial development to East Main and make further connections to the city's investments in East Durham.