Dear Members of the Purchase Day Camp Family,

I want to thank everyone who filled out our survey about half day programming. 93% of our camp families responded. That is a phenomenal turnout which is a testament to your commitment and care for Purchase Day Camp.

As you know, the health and safety of our campers and staff are always the number one priority at PDC. When we decided that a full day program was not possible, we tried to offer a different option that could accommodate our campers’ needs to get together with their friends and participate in our great camp traditions. The survey was designed to help us see if parents felt the same way.

Ultimately, the survey reflected deep concern for the impact of the coronavirus. Some of our parents indicated that the half day program was not long enough, but on the whole, parents are clearly still concerned about their children participating in group activities. When we looked at the number of YES replies, we determined that camp would not have the same energy or excitement that you and I expect at Purchase Day Camp. Sadly, we have made the decision that Purchase Day Camp will not open in 2020.

This would have been my 43rd straight summer of fun at PDC. It pains me to know that we will not be together this season. However, I promise we will keep in touch during the summer and provide some creative programming via Zoom or social media.

As you know, we already published our policy regarding payments received. All money received at this time will automatically be applied as a credit for the 2021 season. As an incentive to allow us to retain your deposit for the 2021 season, you will receive a 5% additional credit to your balance. If you do not intend on registering for the 2021 season, we will issue a refund by check by December 31, 2020 as our cash flow allows. If you wish to receive that refund, please inform us in an email by June 30, 2020.

The decision to not open camp is a reflection of our commitment to your safety; but it is also financially devastating. Due to the coronavirus, in addition to camp closing, we also lost all of our spring programs as well as the summer family pool program. As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation that does not receive any funding from the town or state and rely solely on user fees and donations, this certainly has a major impact on our finances.

We would be eternally grateful if you considered converting part of your deposit into a donation. If you are so inclined, please email Tom Havard at and he will make the adjustment and send you a tax donation letter.

I want to thank our Leadership TEAM and our Board of Directors for their hard work trying to find a solution to this virus. While we could not overcome the hurdles, the effort was there, and for that I am very appreciative. I also want to thank each of our camp families. Your support, concern and understanding have been comforting. This has been a difficult process. The support you have given us has helped make it bearable.

I want to wish everyone a safe, healthy and happy summer. Please take care of yourself, your family and your friends. I am already looking forward to our first morning on the blacktop on June 28, 2021. So now we begin the countdown to 2021: Only 375 days till camp.

See you soon,