Ft. Myers Metro-McGregor Kiwanis
PO Box 61104
Ft. Myers, FL 33906
(239) 940-3893 Club President
The editor thanks Lindsey and Todd for the following information as I was unable to attend the meeting.
Meeting called to order by President Rachel Toomey. Total attendance: 19, members-17. Our speaker today was Abdul Haq Muhammed and guest Lisa Rizzio from Children's Advocacy Center.
Please keep the following club members in your thoughts and prayers, give a call or drop an email; Know that your Kiwanis Family is here for you! We can run an errand or bring a meal.
- Everett Shell had a tumble and is slowly recovering a cracked rib and some cuts/scrapes,
- Stewart Ross is recovering from surgery
- Susan Hornung is dealing with a painful back problem
- Giovanni Trapanese is doing well after 6 days in the hospital
- Liz Ross' dad is in hospice and she is spending time between Fort Myers and MN.
|Congrats to Lindsey Lenhart.
Recently crowned 2019 National Miss Reigning America!
Your Kiwanis Family
is proud of you!
19th-Shana Del Castillo
- Batter Up! July 30 is a "Fifth Tuesday" Social. We have reserved an air conditioned box to sit in and enjoy a Miracle Baseball game. 15 members are signed up. We have room for 13 more members/family/friends. Sign up with Lindsey by Tuesday July 16th email@example.com or at the meeting. After Tuesday we will release the remaining seats to other clubs in our division to come join us! Cost is $15 and includes ticket and popcorn. There will be beverage and food specials 2-for-1. Please pre-pay Todd.
- Received an email from John Klass from the north and he wishes all a nice summer.
- All the dining books we printed are out. Please bring back those you were unable to sell so we can offer them to others.
Steve Hess, chair.
We have 3 more clubs to visit by September and we'll have completed a round-robin with every club in our division! We need a minimum of 4 members to attend in order to count. There a sign up sheet at the meeting and you can sign up by email with Rachel or Todd while Steve is out.
- LaBelle-4 members are going to attend their meeting on August 6th at 5:30pm. The meeting is at Beef O' Brady's. Todd is organizing a carpool if interested. Thanks Connie, Karen, Todd and Linda for going.
- Pine Island-4 members are volunteering with this club on July 13th.
- Sanibel-Meeting is 1st or 4th Tuesday. 7am breakfast, 8am meeting at the Dunes. Date options; July 23, Aug 6, Aug 27, Sept 3, Sept 24. We have two members that can attend on July 23rd (we need 2 more members). Carpooling available.
School Supply Drive-We'll be collecting school supplies again for Littleton Elementary. We have a list of specific items that are the most needed:
#2 pencils (any brand but Ticonderoga is the best), pencil cape erasers, glue sticks, dry erase markers, highlighters (any color), pens-blue, black or red (any brand), wide-rule loose leaf paper and colored pencils. Bring them to a meeting
on or before August 6th
. They will be delivered to the K-Kids faculty advisors on August 8. Don't want to shop? Others would be happy to do it for you, just make your donation to another volunteer.
MS Support Group
(Bill Grant), meets 3rd Thursday of each month at St. Hilary Episcopal Church. Please consider attending a meeting and learn about this project so we'll have more
back up volunteers. See Liz Ross over the summer months. Ada and John covering this coming week.
Our club recently purchased 120 backpacks for distribution by the Children's Advocacy Center. This is just one of the impacts we make from our fundraising efforts!
SLP's (Service Leadership Programs)
(Karen Hurst) at LARC. Meets 2nd Tuesday at 8:30am, year-round.
FGCU. (Stewart Ross) On summer break.
Harris Segel) Collegiate High on FSW campus.
On summer break. They did a clean up on Fort Myers Beach on Jly 5th after the fireworks display.
Barbara Hartman, Todd Adams, Ada Trapanese) Cypress Lake Middle School. On summer break.
K-Kids-(Kim Berghs) Littleton Elementary. On summer break.
Today's Program: Quality Life Center
Today our speaker was
Abdul Haq Muhammed.
Quality Life Center of Southwest Florida, Inc., incorporated in 1992, strives to strengthen and instill pride in family and community through programs and services that cultivate discipline, self-development, confidence and cultural awareness. Focus areas: early learning, teens, after school program, summer camp, performing arts and arts. They are building a teen center for leadership development and recognize the need in the community for a program for teens. Many were turned away because of a lack of space. They have raised 1.6 million and need 90 thousand more. This program will provide classes to make teens be prepared for the future and be self-sufficient. The agency is partnering with businesses to provide business classes and STEM while continuing other programs. Mr. Muhammed invited all of us to come visit the facility.
Want to learn more?
Pictured is Mr. Muhammed and President Rachel.
- FSW Collegiate High School
Love A Child, Raquel Baugh
no formal meeting.
Committee meetings -11:30am, all members encouraged to come let your ideas be heard.
5th Tuesday Social at Miracle Baseball.
July speaker chair
Human Trafficking Awareness, Lauren McCraney
Board meeting, 6pm at Ada's (note date change)
Jeanne Nealon, Laces of Love
Eva's Closet, Jessica Goodall
August 27th-Sharalyn Clark, Pine Manor United Way House/Goodwill
August speaker chair
Shana del Castillo
Where/when we meet: 11:30am on Tuesdays at Shoeless Joe's in the Crowne Plaza, 13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers 33907
"Kiwanis is a global
organization of volunteers
dedicated to improving the
world, one child and one
community at a time."
Fort Myers Metro-McGregor
President-Elect: Lindsey Lenhart
Treasurer: Todd Adams
Secretary: Kim Berghs
Immediate Past President: Liz Ross
Lt. Governor-Elect is Tina Pegler.
Governor Steve LeBlanc
Governor-Elect is Allen Yergovich
President Florencio "Poly" Lat from the Philippines.
President-Elect is Daniel Vignerom
DCON (District Convention)
August 15-18 in Orlando.Early bird registration until 7/26.
Annual Holiday Party
Please save year-round...
Aluminum pull tabs for K-Kids
for Ronald McDonald House. To Kim during the school year.
To Cathy over the summer.
for Builder's Club, give to Barbara Hartman year-round.
Plastic bottle caps to Todd for Buddy Benches
Our club charter date:
July 23, 1980
Todd Adams, Chair