FROM TPD COMMUNITY RESOURCE OFFICER BECKY NOEL: The holidays are a time for extra attention to your personal safety. Here are a few tips to make sure your holiday is a joyous one!
* After the holidays, cut up your boxes and put them in the recycle bind rather than leaving them in piles by the trash. Those box piles are telling local burglars what you got for the holidays and what they could have if they burglarize your house!
* Keep Christmas trees out of view from the main window. This is an advertisement to burglars!
* If you receive a plaque with your family name on it, don' post it on the garage door for everyone to see. This is telling burglars what your name is so they can get your number from the phone book and check to see if you're home!
* Park in well lit areas.
* Don't store packages in open view in your car. Put them in the trunk, or cover them with a blanket.
* If you return to your car and there are people hanging around your car, don't confront them! Go back to the store and request assistance.
* When you walk to your car, be observant of your surroundings and keep your car key in your hand.
* Check under and in your car before getting in.
Making Charitable Contributions:
* Do not donate to telemarketers - you don't know who it's going to!
* Do not tell any phone solicitor your credit card, social security, or bank account numbers.
* Make sure you know the EXACT name of the charity. Disreputable charities use names that sound alike.
* Verify a charity with the Arizona Secretary of State's Office. Charities should be registered with this office if they are soliciting the public.
* Check out suspicious charities with the State Attorney General's Office.