JULY 2015
"Your trust is the most important thing we build"




As you may have seen on television or read in the news, on Friday there was a terrible house fire in MY neighborhood (Little Ranches in Wellington).  Thankfully my house is nowhere near the house that was destroyed.


This is what the scene looked like shorty after authorities arrived on the scene:


The challenge for firefighters was that there are no fire hydrants in the neighborhood.  The tanker trucks needed to go across Southern Blvd., load up with water from a hydrant in Royal Palm Beach, and return to the fire location.  This prolonged getting the fire extinguished, ultimately resulting in more damage.


The reason I was interviewed was to get my opinion on whether neighbors would be willing to pay the estimated cost of $10,000 to $20,000 per property for bringing city water and fire hydrants into the neighborhood.  You can see the report, and my 6 seconds of fame, by clicking on the following link:


Click here to see the story


The preliminary cause of the fire was reported as an overheated dryer vent.  I think that probably means the dryer vent was clogged with lint.


If that was the cause, it is truly sad because periodic maintenance could have prevented this tragedy.  About a year ago I wrote an article on 4 ways your house can catch on fire.  I have reprinted it below since it is so important.


It has been my experience that many of the dryer vents and connections between the dryer and dryer vent are not per code.  If you would like us to evaluate your dryer vent for fire hazards or help you get your vent cleaned of trapped lint, please call us now at 561-795-2551.





Todd Perry
Leading Edge Homes, Inc.



Being a card carrying member of AARP, I receive their monthly magazine.  This month they had an article about common household hazards, four of which could burn down your house.  I thought now would be a good time to pass along the information.

  1. Lint in your dryer, lint trap, and exhaust piping.  According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are an estimated annual 15,500 fires, 10 deaths and 10 injuries due to clothes dryer fires.  Not all of the lint generated by a dryer is stopped by the lint screen.  Much of it ends up inside the machine on the heating element - and lint is highly combustible.  Lint also builds up in elbows, termination caps, and in flimsy plastic or foil duct extenders. Only smooth metal vents should be used and fittings must be taped together with aluminum tape (no screws), which is what most manufacturers specify.  Here's the take away - have your dryer and duct work cleaned out once a year.  If you need a recommendation, call us.
  2. Aluminum wiring.  According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, an estimated two million homes in the United States were built or renovated using electrical circuits with aluminum wiring.  And, according to the commission and specialists in the field, unless certain safety procedures are undertaken, every outlet, light switch and junction box connected to such circuits is a fire waiting to happen.  If your house was built before 1972, have your entire electrical system checked by a licensed electrician.  If you need a recommendation, call us.
  3. Paper towels. It is obvious that you should not leave paper towels, or oven mitts and dish towels, near stove burners, yet people still do it.  However, did you know that you should NEVER put a recycled paper towel in the microwave oven?  Many contain tiny metal pieces which can cause a fire.  Only use all white paper towels - no prints.
  4. Fireplaces and chimneys.  Fireplaces are designed to safely contain wood-fuel fires.  The chimneys that serve them have the job of expelling the by-products of combustion - like smoke, gases and unburned wood.  As these substances flow up the relatively cooler chimney, condensation occurs.  The resulting residue that sticks to the inner walls (flue) of the chimney is called creosote. Creosote is highly combustible and when it builds up on the chimney lining, the result could be a chimney fire.  Hire a chimney sweep to clean the flue and always keep a screen in front of the logs to keep embers inside the fireplace where they belong.   If you need a recommendation, call us.





Have you noticed unusual staining, smells, or soil erosion around the outside of your house?  It could be because of the rain.   Rain water can cause a lot of problems for your house if it is not properly managed.  Of course, we have simple solutions to fix the problem, because you can displace rain water, you just can't make it disappear.
The first way to manage it is to install gutters and downspouts around the perimeter of your house.  Without gutters and downspouts, rain water can cut a trench where it falls and erode the grass and dirt.  This allows water to sit too close to your house which can lead to leaks, mold problems, and preventing drainage away from the house. 
If you get gutters and downspouts, don't forget to put concrete splash blocks under the ends of the downspouts to prevent soil erosion.  Another way to prevent erosion is to have the downspout empty into a drainage pipe that exits as far away from the house foundation as possible.
Lastly, your yard should slope away from your house on all sides so that rain water drains away from it.  If water collects, it should collect on or along property lines and not spill out onto the street.  Sometimes this involves re-grading your lot.
If you need help managing rain water, Leading Edge Homes can solve this problem for you and protect your investment.  Call us now to schedule a FREE consultation at 561-795-2551 


While I am typically known for remodeling people's houses, I am going to be "remodeled" by my orthopedic surgeon on July 23rd.  It seems I have a manufacturer's defect with the bone in my right shoulder and it has torn my rotator cuff.  I'll be out of commission for a few weeks but I'm quite confidant that, thanks to Dr. K.,  I will be better than new by mid-August.

How do you help avoid being a victim of a house fire?  Click on the "4 Ways To Avoid A House Fire" article for lots of tips.