READY TO MAKE THEIR MARK
Tuesday we featured Tess Jacobs in our Senior Spotlight series. Her accomplishments, as well as those from her SSPP Class of 2015 classmates makes us all proud.
Today we present the fourth installment of our latest initiative called Ready to Make Their Mark. It focuses on our graduates about to complete their undergraduate coursework and ready to join society and make a difference in the workplace, their community, and social circle.
Today we look at Jill Hennessy who attended Benet Academy and will receive her BA degree in Marketing and International Business Management (Minor:Spanish) from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Why did you enter this field?
- I wanted to be a business major because I believe that business is a part of everything, and knowing how it works can benefit any career path.
- At the same time, I have always been passionate about international relations and Spanish! This combination of majors and a minor fit those interests best.
Favorite college experiences?
- Studying abroad in Madrid, Spain for a semester!
- Also living in my sorority house for a year with 60 other girls.
Involved in any clubs, groups, service organizations?
- Illinois Business Council - a professional business RSO and my sorority, Tri Delta
- I was an English as a second language tutor in Madrid.
Biggest college adjustment which helped you grow as a person?
- I was super homesick freshman year, so overcoming that helped me grow a lot as an individual and learn to put myself out there.
Did you serve an internship? If so, where and what did you gain from the experience?
- Yes, I have had two. The first was at CDW, a marketing firm in Lincolnshire and the second was with BMO Harris Bank in Chicago.
- I learned so much about the corporate world and how to operate within it.
What do you have to offer an employer that would separate you from other candidates?
- I'm good at relating to people and, because of that, I can motivate others as a leader.
What is in your immediate future?
- I am moving to Las Vegas with 100 other TFA Corps members to teach in an underserved community as part of a two-year commitment.
- I'll be teaching Secondary Math in the Clarke County School District which has a predominantly Latino student body. As a business major, that qualified me to teach high school Math.
- I want to use my business skills to help people less fortunate than I am.
- After my two year commitment is completed, I'll look into working for the business side of a non-profit organization.
Is Graduate school in your future?
- I will be most likely pursuing a Master's at UNLV (University of Nevada - Las Vegas) while I am Teaching For America.
Other than either of your parents, who served as a role model for you and why?
- My Aunt Amy who is my dad's sister! Her strength and kindness are so admirable.
Best advice you ever received.....
- There isn't a person you wouldn't love if you could read their story. Ask people their stories.
When I get my first paycheck...
- I'm booking an international flight immediately to somewhere in South America, probably Peru.