Reunion Music Society and
NOVA Annandale Symphony Orchestra
Update June 2020
Dr. Claiborne T. Richardson, 1927-2020
RMS co-founder Dr. Claiborne T. Richardson, beloved by so many in our community, passed away on June 12. He
founded the NOVA Annandale Symphony Orchestra in 1994, was its first conductor, and had been a source of support and encouragement ever since. Services are scheduled for Saturday, June 20, in Petersburg, VA. A detailed obituary and details about the funeral arrangement are
As we feared, the COVID-19 pandemic made it necessary to cancel the summer concert series. We hope that it will be possible to present a concert in some form in the fall, and are planning for that possibility.
Ensemble Activities are Continuing!
- The Spring MUS 148/248 class, led by Music Director Chris Johnston, successfully reshaped itself into an online Zoom meeting format, with students and orchestra members participating in research, independent ensemble experiments, and end-of-semester student presentations.
- Wednesday evening Zoom gatherings are continuing with discussions about making ensemble music while isolated. There are several projects underway using both off-line (independent self-recordings, merged later) and on-line (live, over-the-Internet ensembles) techniques.
- Based on these techniques, as they are refined over the summer, Mr. Johnston and RMS have proposed to NVCC that the MUS 148/248 class could be delivered online. The college has tentatively accepted our plan and advised that the courses will be available for registration in the Fall.
- Over the coming months, we will be refining a plan for offering performances to the community, which could be premieres of recordings, online live-streamed chamber concerts, or perhaps live indoor or outdoor concerts. All will depend on the status of the COVID-19 pandemic, but we are using these new techniques to best prepare for all eventualities.
- Community musicians are warmly invited to participate! If you wish to be added to the invitation list, email firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you are not a member of the orchestra and would like to be, please fill out the New Player Information Form first.)
RMS will be awarding scholarships for Fall 2020 to two outstanding applicants. Details to follow in the next newsletter!
As we navigate through these uncertain times, which disproportionately affect music performance groups such as ours, please keep in touch by monitoring our website
these newsletters, and
if you have any questions,
We look forward to seeing everyone again. Please stay safe and healthy!
President, Reunion Music Society
Cello Section Leader, NOVA Annandale Symphony Orchestra