In the past year we have been forced to slow down, and spend a lot more time at home. Many things that have previously kept us busy have been cancelled and we have had to take a look at how to fill that time gap. I would like to encourage you to take this time as things are starting to open up and activities are beginning to ramp up again to make sure that you are taking time to invest in your child’s spiritual development. Don’t outsource your children’s spiritual development to school, friends or even the church. YOU are the number one influence in your child’s life.
Here are some tips for family devotions.
- Keep it simple and sustainable. Reading the Bible for 5 min and saying a prayer is a great way to invest in your child’s spiritual development.
- Be consistent. This will communicate to your family that their growth in Christ is a high priority.
- Screens down and eyes up. Be proactive in removing every possible distraction.
- Include everyone. If they’re under your roof, they’re under your care.
- Read the Bible.
- Don’t talk yourself out of it.
Blessings on your week as you nurture your family’s spiritual life.
-Michelle Gerlach, Family life coordinator