Traffic Management Plan for
36th Annual Longest Causeway Run & Fitness Walk
South Padre Island is excited to welcome back the 36th Annual 2020 Longest Causeway
Run & Fitness Walk. The event is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020.
The South Padre Island Police Department along with other City departments will be
working together to manage crowds and traffic control. Cones will be placed in areas to enhance the flow of traffic.
“Public safety is our number one priority,” said Claudine O’Carroll, Police chief. “We want
to ensure the participants and visitors enjoy this event.”
Expect traffic delays before and after the event. The run/walk will begin at 8 a.m.
tail-escort emergency vehicle will be available until the end of the event.
The City will place traffic cones on the roadway to direct traffic movement and to minimize delays. The locations of the traffic control barrels/cones are as follows:
1. The participants will begin from the
Port Isabel Community Center
and continue towards the Island in the outside/right westbound lane on the Queen Isabella Memorial Bridge.
2. Upon exiting the Queen Isabella Memorial Bridge, participants will turn left on
Park Road 100 and continue north along Padre Boulevard then turn left on West Atol Street.
3. Participants will then head south on Laguna Boulevard to the finish line at
1. All westbound traffic will be directed to the inside/left lane using cones and traffic personnel.
2. All eastbound traffic will be unobstructed.
3. Estimated time for the temporary lane closures: 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
4. A tail-escort of emergency vehicles will be available until the end of the event.