ST. LOUISE SCHOOL PARENT BULLETIN
I received some good news and some bad news recently. The good news is our long-time Instructional Assistant, Lisa McKenna, is getting closer to earning her teaching degree, and by next year at this time should be teaching in her own classroom in some school, sharing her talents with kids in her own classroom. The bad news is Mrs. McKenna needs to do her "teaching practicum" in the public schools soon, and after January won't be able to work any longer at St. Louise.
We have begun the search for a replacement - an instructional assistant who can help in reading and math in the primary grades while also co-supervising lunch recess and organizing our volunteer recess supervisors. This new school staff member would start part-time in January, learning from Lisa, and then would take over full-time in February.
If you know an interested candidate who is qualified, please have him/her look at the article below regarding the open position, and also direct there
In the meantime, I asked Lisa to share her thoughts with the St. Louise community...
It is with great sadness that I must say goodbye to St. Louise school and and move on to my next endeavor, teaching.
I have a strong passion for working
with young people and being in the classroom. I am currently In the Masters in Teaching program at Northwest University, finishing my degree of a MIT in Elementary Education in June. My last day at St. Louise will be February 14, 2020. My family has been part of the St. Louise school community since 2001 and I started working here as an Instructional Assistant in 2012. Wonderful years working with amazing people! We are so blessed to have the teachers and staff here at St. Louise. Thank you for sharing your time with me. I will miss you all.
~Mrs. Lisa McKenna
* * * * *
Our annual parent-student-teacher conferences are coming up for most of you this Monday and Tuesday. (If you are out of town next week, you should have contacted your child's teacher and established a before-school or after-school conference time in the coming weeks.) Your conference is a time to learn about areas in which your child does well and to talk about any problems your child might be having. In addition, the conference gives the teacher a chance to find out about your child's life outside of school. But most of all, the conference allows parents and the teacher time to plan and work together so your child can get the most out of his/her education. Enjoy this special time!
The school will close after our final conferences finish on Tuesday (around noon), and the entire school staff will enjoy this extended break. For them and for you school families, I offer this prayer:
I thank you for our St. Louise families and faculty, and for all the blessings that You pour out on us each day.
I give thanks for the support of school parents, the talent of school teachers, the dedication of school staff, and the hard work and kind hearts of our school students! Along with all of them, we give thanks to You for this wonderful St. Louise community we have created, knowing You are watching over and guiding us.
Lord God, Heavenly King,
I ask that our St. Louise parents, students, and staff continue to be blessed by feeling Your love and presence in our lives. We know that this life is not all there is; that the best is yet to come if we live for You. So, help us each day to live our lives in ways that honor and please You. And may we never forget to give You all the praise and glory and thanks, not just on Thanksgiving, but every day.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Enjoy God's blessings today,
Make note of the unique school calendar in the coming days and weeks, beginning tomorrow with a no-school day. We also have no-school all of next week (other than conferences), and a noon dismissal day on December 11. The final day before Christmas vacation (December 20) is also a noon dismissal day.
For tomorrow, thank you for partnering with your child's teacher in getting your child set up to spend the day learning "remotely" - completing assignments that his/her teacher has sent you or will be emailing you by tomorrow morning.
Upcoming Calendar of Events
- Charger Cards sales-window open THIS morning, since Friday is a no-school day
- School's Open House, 6:30-7:30PM - please see the article below about how we need your help to promote this event!
- Today is a no-school day, with teachers working on report cards and conference preparations
- It's also an Online-Learning Day!
- All K-8 students will be sent assignments to complete at home today.
- Please email completed assignments back to the teacher or hand the teacher hard copies of the completed assignments, based on your teacher's directions.
- Online-Learning assignments are required and will be graded.
Monday and Tuesday, November 25 & 26 -
- Parent-Student-Teacher Conferences on Monday and Tuesday.
- School Office hours are 11-8 on Monday and 8-12 on Tuesday.
- At these same times, the library will be open for supervised daycare as parents attend conferences
Wednesday through Friday, November 27/28/29 -
Wednesday, December 4
- Parents' Prayer Group, 8:15-8:45AM - all parents are invited to the faith formation room in the lobby to pray for personal needs and the needs of our students and teachers
Friday, December 6
- Setup for Saint Nicholas Breakfast; sign-up HERE to volunteer
- Flavorful Friday Sale - 5th grade selling ice cream treats for $1, raising money for donating to their sponsored orphan at Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos
Saturday, December 7 -
SAINT NICHOLAS BREAKFAST & CHRISTMAS BAZAAR
- In the St. Louise Parish Hall
- Breakfast Served from 8-11AM
- Craft Vendor Sales from 8AM-12PM
- An event for the whole family, including grandparents and neighbors
Monday, December 9
- All-School Mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, 9AM
Tuesday, December 10
- Admissions Season Begins! "Tuesday Tours" for prospective new school parents; spread the word to your neighbors/friends/co-workers to schedule a tour at 425-746-4220.
Wednesday, December 11 -
- All classes end at 12:00 today - to give teachers the afternoon to hold make-up conferences
- Afterschool Kids' Club is in session; school office is open
Wednesday, December 18
- Parents' Prayer Group, 8:15-8:45AM - all parents are invited to the faith formation room in the lobby to pray for personal needs and the needs of our students and teachers
- Christmas Concert featuring our 1st and 2nd graders - 6:30PM in the church; all St. Louise families and friends are invited
Wanted: Instructional Assistant
A full-time Primary Grade Instructional Assistant position is available at St. Louise School. The instructional assistant works from 8:00-3:00 on all school days. This is a 32.5 hours-per-week, benefited position, with salary to be determined based on experience.
The position begins part-time in January and converts to full-time in February.
The ability and skills desired include:
- Has experience in successfully teaching reading to grade 1-4 children, including the ability to teach phonics by speaking clearly and enunciating phonemes so students can differentiate the different sounds and develop phonemic awareness.
- Has experience in successfully teaching math to grade 1-4 children, including the ability to show students different ways to solve math problems and the gift of being able to encourage students who struggle.
- Possesses the skills needed to assist the primary grade teacher in creating a dynamic, organized curriculum, including the ability to follow the supervising teachers' directions while at other times to manage things independently;
- Has the ability to use time efficiently and to demonstrate attention to detail;
- Is a practicing Christian who naturally can integrate Gospel values when instructing and supervising children;
- Can assist the teacher in maintaining a positive and disciplined classroom environment;
- Can maintain a safe and well-ordered recess atmosphere, including the ability to discipline students of all ages as needed;
- Able to be outdoors co-supervising one or more recesses daily and able to handle the physical demands of loading and unloading 25 lbs. of recess equipment;
- Has the skills to recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to assist with recess supervision.
Open House Is Tonight; Current Families Invited
Our fall OPEN HOUSE is scheduled for TONIGHT, November 21, from 6:30-7:30 pm. You and your kids are welcome to come to school tonight to go to NEXT YEAR'S teachers and introduce yourselves. Find out what fun and challenging curricula is in store for you in 2020-21! We'll have other items of interest, such as our Robotics Club practicing in the north wing and refreshments served in the lobby.
Of course, we would love for you to invite your neighbors, friends, and co-workers who would have 4-14 year-olds next school year to come visit us tonight, too! Thanks for helping to spread the word about our awesome school, and the Open House.
Please note that our second Open House will be on January 30. If you were too late to make it work for tonight, in January please encourage your neighbors, friends, and coworkers to come see for themselves why they would be smart to enroll their children in St. Louise for next fall. They can meet our teachers, explore our classrooms, and learn about after-school programs (mock trial, Girls Who Code, speech team, robotics, choirs, band, debate, etc.) and our cross-country, soccer, basketball, track and volleyball sports offerings.
Thanks for all you can do
to spread the word regarding St. Louise School and our Open Houses! Don't forget to use your social media accounts. Please share our Facebook page and Instagram page.
As a thank you for your help, we do have a referral bonus program:
one free month of tuition for one child for any current school family who refers a newly-enrolling family!
Teachers Are Looking Forward to Conferencing
This Monday and Tuesday, most school parents will be here conferencing with their children's teachers. Remember that there is only enough time for a 20-minute appointment with a teacher, and we want to make sure you take advantage of this brief time by being prepared. In last week's red envelope you received a handout that explains Parent-Teacher Conferences. Please read through the information by this weekend.
Thanks in advance for 2-parent families making every effort to have both mom and dad at this required Parent-Teacher conference. We
also want grade 1-8 students to attend at least part of the conference.
We'll have adult supervision in the library on Monday from 11AM-8PM and on Tuesday from 8AM-12PM, so children can wait there and watch a movie during their siblings' conferences. (Please note this childcare is for school-age children only. Please find a babysitter for your toddler.)
By the way, the 1st Trimester ends today. Skyward is closed down for parents or students to be able to access for the time being, in order for teachers to input final grades, as they create your children's report cards. When Report Cards are sent home with every grade K-8 student on December 13, you'll want to refer to the Report Card information handout you received last Thursday, which explains how to "read" the marks and grades on the card.
Thanks for partnering with the teachers as they assist you, the first educators of your children, in raising and educating your kids!
St. Nicholas Breakfast & Bazaar Is the Week after Thanksgiving
Come join us for our annual St. Nicholas Breakfast and Bazaar on Saturday, December 7, in the St. Louise Parish Hall. Breakfast is served from 8-11AM and craft vendors are selling from 8AM-12PM.
Start a new family tradition as we welcome the season of Advent! Enjoy a delicious breakfast and take care of some Christmas shopping at crafts booths that offer unique gifts and treats.
Breakfast is $5/kid and $10/adult. From 9-11 a.m., Saint Nicholas himself will be in the Hall to greet the children and will be available for taking pictures with your family!
Volunteers are needed to help the day before (Friday the 6th) and the day of (Saturday the 7th).
Earn your volunteer hours in fun & festive atmosphere! Please go HERE now to sign up for the day and volunteer job you'd like.
Breakfast Served from 8-11; Crafts Sold from 8-12; St. Nick Appears from 9-11
Bless You on Creating Thanksgiving Baskets
Yesterday, all our students (including the 6th graders pictured below) brought in donations to our school-wide Thanksgiving Baskets service project. We were able to
create 20 bountiful, traditional Thanksgiving feasts to deliver to needy families in our community! Not only will your children's and your donations help these families enjoy a full and delicious Thanksgiving meal next week, but you've helped stock their cupboards for the weeks after, thanks to your generous amount of giving.
Because tomorrow is a no-school day, the Charger Cards sales-window will be OPEN
- from 8:15-9:15.
Special Thanksgiving and Christmas Offers Are Here!
We're stocking up on special bonus rebate offers and special holiday season cards to help you get ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. Special offerings of $5, $10, and $15 cards are available for a variety of popular stores and restaurants, so please stop by the Charger Cards window today from 8:15-9:15 or visit
to learn more
Time to Buy Charger Cards for Thanksgiving Week
Did you buy your grocery gift cards for Thanksgiving dinner? Before you purchase all the fixings for your Thanksgiving feast, please get your Charger Cards! If you don't buy your cards today - Thursday - at our sales window, b
uy Charger Cards over Thanksgiving break online or with your phone!
Learn how to use Charger Cards from your phone and increase your support for St. Louise! Our website has an app and mobile website! The app makes it easy to purchase, use and track online Charger Cards!
See the video that shows you how to use MyScripWallet.com.
In addition, don't forget these other reasons to buy Cards over Thanksgiving week:
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday gift cards for Christmas shopping!
- Ask friends or family if they'd like to buy gift cards for their own holiday shopping and gifts!
- Purchase cards for them or have friends/family register with their own online account linked to your family's rebate account.
- Did you know friends or family can sign up for their OWN online account and we can link their purchase activity to your family rebate account?
Finally, Christmas Is Coming!
Would you like to support St. Louise School - and make some great progress on your family rebate accumulation - through your usual spending this Christmas season? We offer Charger Cards for hundreds of retailers you are sure to be shopping with. Why not buy your gifts with Charger Cards and provide a gift to St. Louise School with every gift you give?
Snowflake Lane and Bellevue Botanical Garden d'lights have started! Plan a family evening to include dinner downtown and the holiday festivities! We have stocked up on some special cards that will help you to dine out for a good cause.
* John Howie (20%) * Bai Tong (20%)
* Taco Time (20%) * Daniel's Broiler (37%)
* Wild Ginger (20%) * Purple Café (20%)
* Pomegranate Bistro (20%) * El Gaucho (20%)
* Maggiano's (11%) * Red Robin (10%)
* PF Chang (8%) * Cheesecake Factory (5%)
The Charger Cards sale office in the central wing of the original school is open on school-Fridays from 8:15-9:00AM.
Charger Cards...It's simple, it's thoughtful and it's truly the gift that
You Wouldn't Happen to Have a Sewing Machine, Would You?
We are exploring having an afterschool "sewing club," but we need your help. Would you be willing to donate any of the following items?
- Working sewing machine
- Sewing scissors (large and small)
- Cotton fabric
If so, please email
Thank you for supporting our extra-curricular programs!
Please Join Your Fellow Parents the Week after Thanksgiving
- on Wednesday the 4th
Match Your Gift & Double Your Dollars
Many thanks to the families who have already doubled their dollars for St. Louise School by participating in their employer's matching gift program!
With the calendar year coming to a close, we would like to remind families who donated to the Walk-A-Thon, Auction, ASGC, or Tuition Endowment Fund to please submit your matching funds.
Corporate matching has a very important role for St. Louise, and we wish to thank all our faithful patrons who have participated in these programs. St. Louise has received matching funds from Boeing,Apple, Microsoft, Costco, Symetra, Starbucks, Verizon Wireless, Wells Fargo, Intel, and T-Mobile.
It is important, especially with payroll deductions, to keep us in the loop regarding your gift-giving so that we may accurately account for your gift. To keep us in the loop, or if you have any questions regarding matching gifts, please contact Cindy Wagner.
Speech Team Begins Competitions
The St. Louise Speech Team participated in its first tournament of the season last Saturday, here at St. Louise. The tournament served as a "warm up" for the other speech tournaments our 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students will compete in this year at Bishop Blanchet and Seattle Prep High Schools.
Twenty-four St. Louise middle schoolers (pictured below) competed in eight different events in front of parent and alumni judges.
A BIG thank you to
Anais Fawcett for all her hard work coordinating this tournament! We are grateful to a St. Louise parishioner for providing the Starbucks coffee and snacks and Trina Legnon for her administrative assistance with speech team this year. Thanks also to the following parents who helped judge at the St. Louise Speech Tournament:
Raquel Almeida, Aris Andrade, Katie Barrows-Rempe, Frank Buysse, Alessandro Catorcini, John D'Costa, Theresa Estrada, Susie Goett, Leroy Munar, Rebecca Nightingale, Colleen Nowak, Sangeetha Ratnam, Tarum Ratnum, Shannon Wallis.
We give a special shout-out to our alumni students (pictured below) who also helped judge:
Lily Buysse, Daniel Catorcini, Madeline Clinton, Anjah Fawcett, Natalie Nowak, Claire Tylutki, and Mark Vanris.
Our next tournament is Saturday, December 14th at Bishop Blanchet High School. Go, Chargers!
WE ARE ONE
We are winding down in the auction office! Here are the two things you need to know this week:
- Receipts will be emailed by Friday. If you don't receive one, please email email@example.com.
- After Auction Sale: I'll be hosting an After Auction Sale online and in the Auction office after Thanksgiving break. We have a LOT of wine left, so you can pick up some great host/hostess gifts before Christmas! Cash or checks only please. Our Chateau Ste Michelle wine will range from $8 - $16/bottle.
Black & Whites and Passport Day Photos: These are still available! Click HERE to order your digital Passport Day Photo ($25) or your St. Louise traditional 11 x 14 Black & White photo ($100).
Also, I totally missed thanking Ricardo Wu for set up on Auction Day! Thank you, Ricardo for your wonderful help!
St. Louise Parent & Auction Director
|Declan and Nathan enjoying reading outdoors.
AINT OF THE
please read this with your kids
Thank you for patronizing the following businesses and thanking these families who, through their generous sponsorship, help underwrite the costs of St. Louise School's Auction, Walk-A-Thon, and other events...
See what's happening on our St. Louise Facebook and Instagram pages