January 23, 2019
Friends of St. Stephen's Classical Academy,
I'm excited to share resources that will:
- support teaching your child to read
- provide quality books for independent reading by grade level
- provide books for read aloud to develop vocabulary and a love of stories
I have links to several book lists, and everything else can be purchased on Amazon or online Christian bookstores. Happy reading to you and your family!
Learning to read:
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann: This book is 100 lessons, each taking about 20 minutes to complete. This day by day guide is easy to follow and can be successfully done by parents who are not teachers. (Available on amazon for $13.87).
2. The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by Susan Wise Bauer: This book is a straightforward, simple, and effective guide for teaching phonics based reading and can also be used by parents who are not teachers. (Available on amazon for $22.50).
1. Classical Academic Press allows you to filter over 400 books by grade, reading level, genre, and author. Under each recommended book are details about the book level and whether it would be more beneficial as a read aloud or independent book. I highly recommend using this site as a guide to your child's reading at home:
4. Finally, as I mentioned last week,
The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer is very helpful when looking for lists of high quality books by subject.
I wish you many nights of joy-filled reading with your family. In the words of C.S. Lewis, "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally - and often far more - worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond."