Dear Ontario Blue Box stakeholders,
We invite you to participate in our upcoming Blue Box Wind Up Plan consultation webinars.
We will be hosting three webinar consultations, focused primarily on matters affecting specific stakeholder groups during wind up:
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
- 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.: Steward community
- 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.: Municipalities, First Nations communities and the waste management industry
Wednesday, April 8, 2020
- 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.: Environment non-government organizations and other stakeholders
The consultation webinars will be an opportunity to review and comment on
how Stewardship Ontario intends to implement the Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP)
direction outlined in his wind up letter issued on August 15, 2019, including:
- Demonstrating transparency and meaningful consultation;
- Supporting competition and preventing conflict of interest;
- Demonstrating fairness to stewards and protecting consumers; and
- Maintaining program performance.
Other matters of interest to be presented include:
- The proposed process and timelines for transition and related costs;
- The proposed approach to ensure continuity of funding for municipalities;
- Anticipated changes to the method Stewardship Ontario is proposing to determine steward fees during transition; and
- How reserve funds will be applied to offset wind up costs and steward fees.
The transition of the Blue Box Program to full producer responsibility will make industry responsible for both the funding and operation of residential recycling in the province. Your involvement and feedback are essential as we work towards finalizing the Blue Box Wind Up Plan, which will be submitted to the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) by June 30, 2020. The Minister anticipates RPRA will approve the plan by December 31, 2020.