Dear NASW-FL Members,

Here is a message from the Department of Health | Division of Medical Quality Assurance | Bureau of Healthcare Practitioner Regulations| Boards of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling.

It is very important these interns begin final preparations by evaluating the completion of their supervised experience and applying for Licensure by Exam. We will continue to issue exam approval to those social work and marriage and family therapy interns who need to pass the exam after their license has expired. Mental Health Interns do not need exam approval and may contact the NBCC at any time to register. For more information on how to register for the exam, please direct interns to our website at:

If they have completed supervised experience, but have not passed the exam, we encourage them to apply for Licensure by Exam. If they have not completed the exam, they may be eligible for a Provisional License. This license is valid for 24 months and cannot be renewed. It is available only for licensure applicants who have already met the minimum requirement of 2 years of post-master’s supervised experience but do not meet Florida’s licensure requirements. It allows the applicant to practice under supervision while they meet any additional licensure requirements such as masters level coursework, continuing education coursework or passing the national exam. This is a separate licensure application and only available to those who have applied for licensure by exam or endorsement. This application has a non-refundable $100 fee.

Historically, the board office has not calculated the total number of hours completed by the registered intern until an application for licensure has been received. It is the responsibility of the intern to maintain this information. Board office staff will review the hours for accuracy upon receipt of the application.

If they have had an emergency or hardship that has affected their ability to complete the supervised experience and have passed the national exam, they may apply for the 24-month extension. They can download the form from our website at: and submit it via email to

In short….

Intern has completed the national exam, but not the clinical experience…

  • Should submit the hardship extension as soon as possible

Intern has completed the supervised experience but has not passed the national exam…

  • Submit all supervised experience on the Verification of Clinical Experience Form
  • Apply for Licensure by Exam
  • May qualify for a provisional license after supervised experience is reviewed by board office staff.  

Intern has not completed supervised experience nor passed the national exam…

  • Intern registration will not be reissued or renewed in the same profession.

Please contact MQA at if you have any questions.

Thank You,