They're a group of herbs and plants that have been used for centuries in traditional medicine to help the body cope with stress and promote overall health. Termed adaptogens because they help the body "adapt" by regulating the body's stress response system and fostering a sense of well-being.
From reducing stress and anxiety to boosting the immune system and enhancing physical performance, adaptogens have a lot of potential and are considered a natural alternative to pharmaceutical drugs that are often used to treat stress-related conditions.
Some key adaptongen benefits and examples:
- Boost energy and reduce fatigue: ashwagandha, rhodiola
- Support immune function: reishi mushroom and astragalus
- Enhance mental clarity & focus: ginkgo biloba & lion's mane mushroom
- Reduce inflammation: turmeric and ginger
- Balance hormones: maca and holy basil which can improve mood, reduce symptoms of PMS, and support overall reproductive health
These are just a handful of the many advantages that adaptogens offer. While they are generally regarded as safe, it's important to know that they can interfere with some medications and may not be appropriate for everyone. If you're thinking about including adaptogens into your wellness routine, consult with me or another health care practitioner to find out which herbs are right for you.