City of Ventura awarded grant for bicycle and pedestrian safety
from the Office of Traffic Safety
Ventura, Calif. – The City of Ventura received $44,000 in grant funding from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) aimed at prioritizing the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians through educational programs and events.
“We remain committed to the safety of our residents when biking and walking in our neighborhoods,” shared Public Works Director Phil Nelson. “Along with the development of our Active Transportation Plan, this funding helps complement our goal of creating safer and more sustainable mobility options in our communities.”
The City of Ventura is distinguished as a Bronze Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Bicyclists. With over 60 miles of bicycle lanes, 35 miles of bike routes and paths, and over 400 lockers and racks, the City encourages increased use of active modes of transportation such as biking and walking in order to improve the quality of life in our community. Active transportation promotes healthier citizens, a cleaner environment, safety for all roadway user types, and economic development.
Grant funds will pay for a comprehensive safety program that will teach valuable skills for all types of road users, including:
- Bicycle skills and training courses that educate youth on safe riding behaviors
- Helmet fitting inspections and distribution of helmets to those in need
- Community and school education presentations on best bike/walking practices
- Incorporating bicycle safety skills into regular community bike rides
- Partnerships with health care providers and senior centers promoting pedestrian safety measures among older people and those who are experiencing homelessness
- Pop-up events that promote the importance of visibility on roads with safety equipment such as reflective armbands/leg bands and bicycle headlights/taillights
A grant from the California OTS provided funding for this program through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The grant program will run through September 2022. For more information about the City’s Active Transportation Plan, visit www.ActivePlanVentura.com or call the Transportation Hotline at (805) 654-7769.