CMS needs two types of commentary on this:
- General commentary on the proposed decision memo. Click here to read memo
- Specific comments that address current studies of acupuncture (randomized controlled trials, observational trials, and registries) in the Medicare population.
Please add your voice by August 15th!
What to do:
- Read the ASA call for commentary found here: Click here to access call for commentary
- Read the ASA commentary, and use this as a template for your comments. That can be found here: Click here for template
- Create your own comments on issues surrounding inclusion of Licensed Acupuncturists.
- Include references to any relevant studies to which you may have access.
- Submit using the portal no later than August 15th. The portal can be found here: Click here to access portal
The call for study has a number of caveats on designs and participation, and right now we need all supporters to send comments to Medicare by August 15
via the submission portal.
It is important that Licensed Acupuncturists be included explicitly in the provider groups named to take part in these studies. As the only profession fully dedicated to acupuncture, it would be difficult to justify the omission of this group, but that is the status of the current document. Please take time to give positive praise to CMS for this step towards inclusion, but also make note of the omissions we describe. Every comment, especially from members of the public, is valuable. Do be positive and constructive, but also, let’s highlight the omissions. If acupuncture becomes covered, this is one step towards the inclusion of acupuncturists as a provider group delivering that care.
This is not the only step, and legislative action is on the agenda, but this is what’s needed now.