I want to stay in my home but can't afford the taxes.
My mother is showing signs of Alzheimer's. Where can I get support?
Can I get transportation to my doctor's office?
My father's drug costs have skyrocketed. Is there any way to bring those costs down?
For answers on these and many other questions, Hillsdale's Safe at Home Committee will host a Seniors and Caregivers Workshop on Saturday, October 19 from 10:00-12:30 at the Hillsdale Firehouse, 9387 NY Rte. 22, Hillsdale, NY.
More than 15 senior services providers will be on hand to answer questions and distribute information. A light lunch will be served and attendees will have an opportunity to win door prizes donated by area merchants.
wo speakers will make presentations.
- Kate West, a case manager with the Columbia County Office for the Aging, will give a talk that will help seniors make important decisions about their Medicare coverage.
- Also featured will be a talk and Q and A by Claire Parde, Executive Director, The Health Care Consortium on planning for long term care and what you need to do to age in place.
In a press release outlining the event, Joyce Lapenn, chair of the Safe at Home Committee, said that the "focus of the Workshop was on letting seniors and caregivers know what's available in our community to remain safely at home. Planning is the key," said Lapenn. "Our goal is to provide information so that all seniors can remain in their homes by knowing what services are available and what one should be thinking about."
Following are the service providers that will participate in the Workshop:
- AARP-How to manage prescription drug costs
- Cap Tel (captioned telephone)--Free phones for people with hearing loss
- Catholic Charities Senior and Caregiver Support Services-Short-term respite, support groups, workshops, free services
- Columbia County Dept. of Health-Healthy Neighborhoods Program-In home safety assessments, products for fall prevention, fire safety, asthma, lead
- Columbia County Office for the Aging--Transportation, home care, shopping, home delivered meals
- Columbia County Habitat for Humanity - A Brush with Kindness/Aging in Place-Repairs, accessibility improvements to help seniors stay in their homes safely
- Columbia Memorial Health-Comprehensive health services and urgent care
- Columbia Opportunities - Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)--Helps pay for home heating/energy costs
- Consumer Directed Services-Choosing and directing home care services through Medicare
- Copake Hillsdale Farmers Market-Farmers Market food assistance programs
- Eddy Alzheimer's Services-Information and assistance, caregiver respite, support and training
- Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage Program (EPIC)--Reducing prescription drug costs
- Healthcare Consortium-Network of health and human service providers
- Hillsdale Tax Assessor-STAR and senior citizen exemption for taxes
- New York State Office of the Attorney General-Helps senior avoid financial exploitation and investment fraud
- Office of the Sheriff - Columbia County-Daily check in system for seniors
- Office of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman-Helps older adults in nursing homes, assisted living and other types of adult care homes
The Workshop is supported by a grant from the Fund for Columbia County of the Berkshire Taconic Foundation and The Home for the Aged.
For further information contact Natalie Kahan: (518) 265-2133.