Dear CSAN Members and Friends:
Two important developments to pass along:
(1) Yesterday evening Governor Sisolak announced that schools would not reopen before April 16th. This is meant to be in line with his directive to close most business for 30 days. See the announcement here:
(2) Urgent action is required by each public charter school. If you are sponsored by the SPCSA you should have received an email communication from Director Feiden late last night with this information but in an effort to ensure no one missed it, I am copying her communication here:
"In particular, I want to highlight an important action item for each school/charter holder that should be completed no later than noon on Sunday (unless your school is on Spring Break next week).
In order to formally move your school to distance education for the period in which school buildings are closed, each charter holder (and in some cases individual school campuses) will need to complete the attached “Request for Emergency Program of Distance Education.” This is a relatively short form and does not require any narrative or description of your program. However, this form
does need to be signed by the school leader and board chair (see below for additional details).
Note that schools that are already approved by NDE to provide a school-wide distance education program (specifically, Beacon Academy, Leadership Academy, Nevada Connections Academy, and Nevada Virtual Academy) do not need to complete this form.
Specific information regarding Request for Emergency Program of Distance Education Form
- For any charter holder that operates only one campus (ex. Oasis Academy, Equipo Academy, American Prep Academy) complete one form to be signed by the school leader and board chair
- For any charter holder that operates multiple campuses and has an Executive Director over all of the campuses (ex. Bridget Phillips oversees all Doral Academy Schools in southern Nevada) complete one form to be signed by the Executive Director and board chair
- For any charter holder that operates multiple campuses and does not have an Executive Director or similar position over all of the campus (ex. Somerset Academy) complete a form for each school campus to be signed by the School Leader and board chair (ex. Somerset would submit 7 forms)
Superintendent Ebert has asked that the SPCSA collect these forms and submit them in batch to NDE. Therefore, I am asking that each school
complete and submit this form to me via email (
) as soon as possible and no later than noon on Sunday (unless your school is on Spring Break next week, in which case your deadline is 48 hour before your first day back to school)."
Here is that form:
To clarify, you need to provide signatures, but a formal board meeting is not required. Just sign and return. This request to return the forms to Director Feiden is specific to SPCSA sponsored schools. If you are a district sponsored school, please follow whatever guidance they provide. It is possible you would be covered by the district wide request, but again please follow whatever guidance is provided.
As always, we'll continue to try to keep you updated as things progress.