Family Resource Center
Resources to Support Families in Behavioral Health throughout COVID-19
New Additions 8/21/20
In this challenging time of change and much uncertainty, the Behavioral Health Family Resource Center is responding by frequently updating this list of online resources to support children, teens, adults, families and NSMC employees. Please keep practicing social distancing and other safety protocols and remember to make time to care for yourself.
Your inquiries, comments and suggestions are welcome. Contact email@example.com. We hope this is helpful.
- Elizabeth Yourgrau, M.A., M.S.W., L.I.C.S.W., Clinical Coordinator, Behavioral Health Family Resource Center
- Ivette Thomson, B.A., Program Coordinator, Behavioral Health Family Resource Center
- Marguerite Roberts, M.S., N.P., Clinical Coordinator Mindfulness Programs, Behavioral Health Family Resource Center
Family Rounds Lecture Series A monthly series for parents and professionals, September-May, free and open to all. (Incude registration info) Each lecture will weave in some of the ways racial disparities and the coronavirus impact their topic.
September 17th: "Unpacking Race and Identity: Understanding Racial Identity, Models and How to Feel Comfortable Discussing the Uncomfortable"
October 15th: “Children and Trauma: Treatment in the context of the pandemic and social injustice”
December 10th: "Minding Your LBGTQs - Learning Contemporary Terminology, Concepts, and Issues in the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Community"
NEW Family Resource Center is now offering online ZOOM Workshops. You do not have to be a patient at NSMC to participate in our program offerings.
- Raising Resilient & Healthy Teens beginning August 17th
Begin or Maintain your Mindfulness Practice Free (monthly) first Wednesday of each month
- Teen Talk #factsonly Fall 8-week session beginning 10/1
- Anxiety Workshop for Teens 6-week beginning 10/14
- Southern California Sunrise "Anxiety Disorders: Types and Treatments"
- African American COVID-19 Resources
- African American COVID-19 Resources II
- The New Yorker The Emotional Evolution of Coronavirus Doctors and Patients
- Mass General Brigham Mental Health and Well-Being Resources
- Mass General Hospital "Guide to Mental Health Resources"
- Center for Disease Control Updated Situation Summary Reports
- "Atul Gawande, MD The New Yorker - Amid the Coronavirus Crisis, a Regimen for Reëntry"
Benson Henry Institute - "Calm in the Time of Coronavirus" includes Tips for Staying Resilient
Mental Health APPS. Compiled by Shalini Bhalla, Staff Psychologist Psy.D., Coordinator for Outpatient Clinic and Behavioral Medicine Team, Mass General for Children, at NSMC
- Yale University "The Science of Well-Being" Yale's most popular class ever is available free online and the topic is "How to be Happier in Your Daily Life"
Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Outbreak includes reliable and helpful resources
- Harvard Health Publishing "Coping with Coronavirus: Dealing with Daily Stress, Anxiety and a Range of Other Emotions"
Mass 211 - "Get Connected, Get Answers" Provides free confidential and multilingual answers to your questions.
- Healthline "5 Tips for Coping with Cabin Fever During a Shelter-in-Place"
Harvard Business Review "That Discomfort Your Feeling is Grief updated May 1st
- WBUR "Taking Care of Each Other During The Coronavirus Crisis"
- Brown University Mindfulness Center with Jud Brewer, MD "Conversations on COVID: Breaking the anxiety cycle"
- Brown University Mindfulness Center with Jud Brewer, MD "Understanding Coronavirus Anxiety (Daily Update 1)"
Seniors: Many aging adults are unaware of the available care options and programs that can help them maintain their independence and quality of life. So we created a free resource that provides comprehensive information on Medicare Advantage in Massachusetts. You can read more about our work here:
- Paying for Senior Care: Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C)
- Paying for Senior Care: Medicare Advantage Plans in Massachusetts
- Helping Us Get to the Growth Zone "What Do I Want to Be During COVID-19"
- Around the World "The Weight"
- Mass Health "Resources for Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health Providers"
- Mass Health "Frequently Asked Questions: COVID-19 and Behavioral Health Providers"
- Mass Health "Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)—Providers"
- Mass Health "Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) —Applicants and Members"
- "Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Families with Children Receiving Home and Community-Based Behavioral Health Services During COVID-19"
- Network of Care Massachusetts "A directory of over 5,000 programs and organizations across the Commonwealth"
- Internal Revenue Service Economic Impact Payment Info
- The Family Resources Network of MA "During this COVID-19 Outbreak, We're Here to Help You"
- Partners Healthcare for Clinicians Behavioral Health Symposium Web Series
- Massachusetts Partnerships for Youth is offering FREE Webinars. All the topics address the pandemic; from mental health, emotional well-being and more.
McLean Hospital "Dr. Lois Choi-Kain Shares Strategies to Successfully Manage Heightened Emotions" She breaks down what she has learned from treating patients with Borderline Personality Disorder"
Owl Insights "The Telehealth Tipping Point for Behavioral Health" - May 12th Webinar Moderated by Dr. Whitney Black, MD, psychiatrist and quality medical director, Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health & Science University (Portland, Oregon), the format is a conversation among industry experts.
- Free Headspace Meditation APP for US Healthcare Professionals
- The Schwartz Center "Resources for Healthcare Professionals Coping with the COVID-19 Pandemic"
- Free Access for Frontline Workers to Ten Percent Happier Coronavirus Sanity APP
National Child Traumatic Health Network The Schwartz Center "Caring for Yourself & Others During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Managing Healthcare Workers Stress" Guide for families with a particularly helpful chart outlining stress reactions and helpful responses by age group
- The Schwartz Center "Caring for Yourself & Others During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Managing Healthcare Workers’ Stress"
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress (CSTS) "Psychological Effects of Quarantine During the Coronavirus Outbreak" What Healthcare Providers Need to Know
- Lori Gottlieb, Psychotherapist, Washington Post "The surprising intimacy of online therapy sessions during the pandemic"
- The New Yorker - The New Theatrics of Remote Therapy
NSMC Employees: (login required to access):
Julia Morgan, PsyD., is a licensed psychologist and the clinical coordinator for child and adolescent services at the Neuropsychological Assessment Center. She is available to connect with family members and loved ones of NSMC staff who are looking for additional support and consultation around managing COVID-19 related stress, concern about their loved one's employment related exposure, and other family/parenting needs. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org Access Dr. Morgan's COVID-19 Resources here
- The Pulse Mass General Brigham "Universal Mask & Eye Protection Policy"
- On August 23, 2020 upgrade, Partners and the North Shore will transition to the Storyboard but you can toggle it on today. Learn more about transitioning to the Storyboard.
- Partners 5TH ANNUAL QUALITY & SAFETY SYMPOSIUM: "IMPROVING QUALITY & SAFETY DURING COVID-19"
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Building Resilience in Response to COVID-19 for Healthcare Workers
- (EAP) Coping and Overcoming Isolation during Social/Physical Distancing
- (EAP) Practices to Manage Stress
- (EAP) 07-28-2020 - Dealing with Difficult People
- NMSC Employee Virtual Support Group led by the EAP and Pastoral Care
Partners Healthcare "Resilience Augmentation for Medical Personnel (RAMP) during the COVID-19 Outbreak" 3 Different Open and Ongoing Online Sessions (Resilience and Mindfulness, Stress Management and Resiliency Training (SMART) and Mindfulness for Wellness)
- NSMC "Coronavirus FAQ's for Staff"
Partners Healthcare "July 15th TownHall Meeting" previous meetings available here as well
- Partners Pulse Government COVID-19 Response Updates
- Partners Pulse: "Mental Health and Well-Being Resources for COVID-19"
- Partners Pulse "FAQ's for COVID Testing"
- Partners Pulse Updates COVID-19
- NSMC Connect "COVID-19 Updates"
- Positively NSMC COVID-19 Edition "In This Together"
Mental Health and Well-Being Resources Check out resources that have been compiled to help employees cope with everyday stresses and concerns.
- Benson-Henry Institute "Clinician Resiliency Groups"
- NSMC's Pastoral Care Department "Four-Minute Mindful Meditation" Video
- NSMC's Pastoral Care Department "Five-Minute Mindful Meditation" Video
- Employee Assistance Program "Seminars/Events, Success with Stress Series"
- McLean Hospital Brainwaves "Caring for Your Mental Health Despite the Coronavirus"
Mindfulness for Children, Teens and Adults:
With many students, educators, and families at home, away from school and work, Mindful Schools has offered free, online mindfulness classes for KIDS!
- Go Zen - Progressive Muscle Relaxation for Kids
- *Mindful Schools "Ten Free Online Classes for School K-5 Aged Students"
- "Take a Break, Keep Perspective, Be Kind in Uncertain Times"
- Fight, Flight and Mindfulness Response to Overwhelm
Five Brief practices "Mindfulness for Children Series at Home" with Gabriel, AME Association for Mindfulness in Education (you tube videos):
- Regarding Major Transitions
- 5 Finger Breathing (emergency mindfulness)
- Grateful Gratitude
- Feelings like Sad, Lonely, Mad
- Mindful Eating
"Mindfulness in Every Day Life" with Marguerite, NSMC Family Center for Mindfulness Practices for parents/caregivers and children for finding self calm. Try each together and continue with favorites.
- Children's Intro
- Sitting Like a Mountain
- The Body Tour
- Mindful Yoga
- Mindful Eating
- Belly Breathing
- Friendliness and Kindness
- Practice with Play
- Water Practice
Short Mindful Practices for Teens and Adults:
- Brief Sitting
- Brief Mindful Movement / HATHA Floor Yoga
- Brief Standing / Mindful Movement
- Loving Kindness
- Brief Body Scan
UMass Medical Center 8-Week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Online Live Experience the original 8-Week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program developed at the Stress Reduction Clinic at UMass Medical Center by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
Mindful Schools "Executive Function Live Online Workshop (FEE): What It Is and Why It Matters" May 26 with Dr. Mark Bertin
- Mindful Leader.Org COVID-19 Support Initiative Free Online Daily Meditation Support Groups
- CALM "FREE Meditations" APP for All Ages
- Jack Kornfield Audio "A Steady Heart in the Time of Coronavirus"
Parents/Guardians of Children, Teens and Young Adults:
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN): Raising anti-racist infants and young children
- Jewish Family & Children Service (JF&CS) "Free Parent Coaching: A Resource for Families"
- PBS for Parents "Talking to Young Children about Race & Racism"
- Children's Alliance "Talking about Racism & Bias: Resources for Parens & Caregivers"
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL) "Race Talk: Engaging Young People in Conversations about Race and Racism"
- The Children's Room: Caring support for grieving children, teens and families"
- McLean Webinar August 26th: Managing Emotions and Expectations Around School
- Video: Dr. Lisa Coyne Answers Questions About Youth Mental Health
- The Asperger / Autism Network Free Online Community Connection Sessions with AANE staff
*Dr. Jellinek former Chief of Child Psychiatry at MGH "COVID-19: Helpful Q&A for Parents" Highly informative and reassuring information for parents. Addresses issues of parents working from home, home schooling and learning disabilities during this pandemic.
McLean Hospital: Video: Dr. Lisa Coyne Offers "Support for Caregivers of Kids and Teens During the Pandemic" She discusses ways to support the Mental Health of K-12 students including talking about the foundations of coping. She also provides useful responses to managing children who are out of school and stuck at home with their lives disrupted.
- The Family Dinner Project "OUR STUCK AT HOME GUIDE TO FOOD, FUN AND CONVERSATION"
- "Children and Young Adults' Mental Health During the Coronavirus" University of Vermont Continuing and Distance Education
McLean Hospital "Helping Kids and Families Keep a Healthy Mindset During Coronavirus Crisis" provides tips for families for managing stress and anxiety in themselves and with their children
- The Clay Center at Mass General Hospital (MGH) for Young Healthy Minds "7 Ways to Support Kids and Teens Through the Coronavirus Pandemic
Child Trends "Resources for Supporting Children's Emotional Well-being during COVID-19 Pandemic" guidance, recommendations and a wide range of resources are provided by Child Trauma experts
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress "Helping Homebound Children During the COVID-19 Outbreak"
Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) "How to Talk to Your Anxious Child or Teen About Coronavirus" Rich Bhatia, MD and FAPA is a Chid Adolescent and Adult Psychiatrist
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) - "Parent/Caregiver Guide to Helping Families Cope with the Coronavirus Disease 2019" information is also in Chinese and Spanish
NCTSN Supporting Children During COVID-19 Resource Guide for Supporting Children of All Ages
Psychology Today - "How to Talk to Kids and Teens about Coronavirus" includes helpful tips for different age groups
- CDC - "Tips for Supporting Yourself and Your Kids in Managing Stress"
- One Tough Job, a children's trust program "Managing Stress During the COVID-19 Pandemic"
Storytime: Life on the Inside. During the Pandemic, Steve Aveson reads stories aloud on his personal Facebook page. The goal is to support children, teachers and families with a playful ten minutes each day Monday through Friday. From the Streets of Harvard Square and the Children's Museum of Boston, to classrooms in Singapore and Museums in Paris Steve Aveson has shared stories with children and families across 4 decades.
Life is Good Playmakers provides a continuum of personal and professional development resources that help tap into the power of optimism and build life changing relationships with children in our care. Their brief calming and healing videos and many more include:
- Talking to Kids about Racism
- 5-4-3-2-1 "Grounding Technique"
- "A Noticing Walk"
- Not all streets are like Sesame Street - They want to end Racism
- Sesame Street Racism Part One
- Sesame Street Racism Part Two
- Mindful Schools - Free Mindfulness Classes Help Kids’ Mental Health (Featured on CNN)
- Best moments from CNN and Sesame Street's coronavirus town hall for kids and parents
*CNN: "The ABC's of Covid 19: A CNN/Sesame Street Town Hall for very young children up to age 10 and Parents Second Town Hall scheduled June 6th
- ZeroToThree - "Tips for Families: Coronavirus"
- No School Social Story - Explaining COVID-19 to Young Children
- "King Covid and the Kids Who Cared" ages 4-6 & 7-9 by Nicole Rim
- World Health Organization "Children’s story book released to help children and young people cope with COVID-19"
My Hero is You: How Kids Can Fight Coronavirus Children's storybook released by UNICEF to help children and young people understand and cope with COVID-19. Intended for children 6-11. Adults are encouraged to read the book first and then read the story along with children
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus - Explaining COVID-19 to Older Children and Teens
- Greater Massachusetts of Special Needs (SPED): "Remote Learning: Supporting Students & Families"
- Autism Speaks COVID-19 Information and Resources for Families
Home Learning for Kids and Parents Amid COVID-19 Tufts article specific to learning at home during school closures. Second to last tip, go easy on yourself, is particularly relevant!
- Go Noodle - "Movement Powers Change"
- BrainPOP - "Make Any Room A Classroom"
- Lexia - Reading Intervention Program
- ST Math - Visual Math Program
- Khan Academy - Free Online Courses, Lessons
- Kaplan - SAT & ACT on Demand
- Parenting Helping Parents (Online Support Groups/ Zoom)
- Local & National Resources MA - Children's Trust
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Zoom Meeting Notes 4/15/20
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Contact email@example.com for next meeting info
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
Learn to Cope (LTC) meetings are for family members who have someone in their life struggling with the disease of addiction. If you would like to find out about our online ZOOM meetings, Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Grief Recovery After Substance Passing (GRASP) Contact email@example.com
Learning to Cope with Grief - This grief meeting is specifically for people who have suffered a loss due to substance abuse. If you would like to find out about our online ZOOM meetings Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online/Phone Resources for Recovery Support, Parenting, and COVID-19 Compiled by Institute for Health and Recovery
- Network of Care Massachusetts "A directory of over 5,000 programs and organizations across the Commonwealth"
- Tips Social Distancing by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Current Topics - SAMHSA
Boston Medical Center Office-Based Addiction Treatment Program Expanding access to life-saving treatment for substance use disorders through education, support, and capacity building.
- Meeting Guide for Alcoholics Anonymous
- Healthline "How People in Addiction Recovery Are Dealing with the Isolation of COVID-19"
- Monday Night AA Meeting 7pm Zoom
Resources collected by Sara Leva, LICSW at NSMC & NSPG Social Workers and Community Health Workers:
- Online / Phone Resources for Recovery Support
- Financial Resources
- Emergency Food Resources
- Children and Family Resources
- Food Resources in Greater Newburyport
- Internet Service Resources
- Lynn Housing Authority "Crisis Hotlines"
- North Shore Physicians Group (NSPG) - "Cooking During COVID-19"
- NSPG - "Food Assistance Programs During COVID-19"
- Grocery Delivery Services During COVID-19
- NSPG - "COVID-19 Nutrition Resources"
- NSPG - "Create a COVID-19 Workout Routine"
- NSPG Nutrition Department - Healthy Eating for Immunity
- "Small Business Owners Guide to Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARESAct), provided by DanversCARES