Chef Brenda Wattles, BLT Food and Nutrition, shares ideas for using the U.S. grown canned pears in your pantry for summer meal programs and planning for the next school year.
1. Sprinkle canned pears with a chili lime seasoning, such as tajin. This seasoning is gaining popularity and is delicious on canned Bartlett pears. Serve this as a snack or a side dish.
2. Crêpes are delicious, and adding pears to a creamy savory or sweet sauce is a special addition to any crêpe.
3. Season sliced or diced canned pears with apple pie spice. Heat on the stove, with the juice from the can, and thicken with cornstarch. Serve on top of ice cream or baked oatmeal.
4. It's grilling season and there is no better treat than a grilled pear half, filled with goat cheese and topped with chopped, roasted poblano peppers.
5. Sheet pan roasting is popular and an easy way to make Roasted Honey Pears. Toss pear halves with melted butter, honey and salt. Roast at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Top with crumbled feta or blue cheese and your favorite fresh herb, such as thyme, rosemary or basil.
Find more ideas here