Dear Lions' Families;
It is hard to believe that we are down to our final few weeks of school. While many schools are beginning to wind things down, it feels almost like things are winding up for Riverwalk Academy. I'm afraid that if we blink, it's going to pass us right by. There's an excitement that has been filling our halls over the past few weeks. Our staff is energized, our students are pumped, and this momentum is going to carry us forward through State testing and onto the remainder of the year.
I've spent some time this weekend reading and reflecting on our shared journey. Monday happens to be the start of two important weeks: National Teacher Appreciation Week and National Charter Schools Week. The combination of these two weeks had me thinking about "what is it that makes a good teacher" and "what is it that makes a good charter school."
A charter school is only as good as the people. People being defined by all stakeholders: parents, students, staff, administration, the community, the board, and of course, the teachers.
What's so special about a Riverwalk Academy teacher? From my perspective, it's someone who not only is relentless in the pursuit of growth in their students, but it is also someone who isn't afraid to take risks. A Riverwalk Academy teacher is someone who is resilient and someone who will dig down deep to find the courage and energy to not give up on their students or their colleagues when they are most needed. A Riverwalk Academy teacher focuses on both the present and the future.
So #WhyRiverwalk? Riverwalk Academy has good people. It is filled with families who rally around their kids and partner with the school to make the most of their school experience.
Parents, as we enter teacher appreciation week, I'm asking that you help me rally around the ones who are digging in deep for these final few weeks. The ones who want nothing more than to see your child succeed. The ones who celebrate gains along with your child and who go home reflective in the evening when their lesson didn't go as planned, or when the child didn't make the progress they anticipated. Please help me celebrate our teachers this week.
- Monday - have your child deliver a PAWSitive note to their teacher(s).
- Tuesday - Parents of K - 3rd Grade - please consider bringing a breakfast item or beverage for the teachers. You can bring it Tuesday morning or feel free to drop items off Monday afternoon.
- Wednesday - Consider reaching out to your child's teacher and offer to cover his/her class for lunch so the teacher can take a break.
- Thursday - Parents of 4th - 8th Grade - please consider bringing in an afternoon snack treat so we can deliver to the teachers Thursday afternoon. Feel free to drop items off Thursday morning in the front office.
- Friday - All parents, please consider dropping off a $5.00 gift card to any local place. Please drop them off any time this week in the front office and on Friday, we'll distribute all cards to the staff during a teacher luncheon.
I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you for all that you do for Riverwalk Academy. Without you, Riverwalk Academy would be missing one if its key reasons for success.