uly 14, 2020
Dear Rosa Coplon Living Center Residents, Family Members and Responsible Parties,
We know how eager our residents and family members are to visit each other once again.
Last Friday afternoon we received information from Governor Cuomo and the New York State Department of Health (DOH) about new restricted visitor guidelines that will take effect on July 15. I am writing today to update you on the strict criteria that skilled nursing homes are required to meet before visitation can occur, as well as specific guidelines that we must follow once restricted visits are able to take place.
In order for restricted visits to occur, t
he new guidelines from Governor Cuomo and the DOH require the absence of any new onset of COVID-19 among residents or staff members for at least 28 days.
We are unable to offer visitation at this time due to this guideline established by Governor Cuomo and the DOH, as we had a new case of COVID-19 in a staff member within the past 28 days. We continue to test staff for COVID-19 weekly.
Since the onset of the pandemic, we have been working extremely hard to prevent the spread of new cases. We are as hopeful as you are that restricted visits can begin to occur as soon as possible.
Prior to opening for restricted visits, the Department of Health must approve our restricted visitor protocols, which are mandated and include:
- Pre-scheduled appointments.
- Visitors must participate in pre-visit questionnaire screening.
- Visits will be allowed in designated locations only. Visitors are not permitted in resident rooms or clinical areas.
- Visitors will be required to answer COVID-19 screening questions onsite and temperatures will be taken. Individuals with a temperature above 100.4 will not be permitted to visit.
- Individuals who have traveled outside of New York State to areas with high community spread of COVID-19 will not be permitted to visit until after the 14-day quarantine has been met.
- Visits must be supervised by a staff person.
- Everyone involved in a restricted visit must wear a face mask at all times. This means that eating and drinking are not permitted.
- Social distancing of at least six feet apart is required at all times.
- Only two visitors at a time are permitted per resident. Visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
While we have been anticipating and planning for the possibility of opening visitation for some time, the guidelines outlined by the Governor and the DOH contain specific criteria unique to New York State that exceed the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is important to know that only about 10% of facilities across New York State qualify to open restricted visitation this week.
Rest assured that we are working very hard to put everything in place that will allow us to meet the state’s stringent guidelines. I will provide frequent updates about when and how you can make arrangements to visit your loved ones.
It is our hope to reunite residents with their families and loved ones as safely as possible, as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you have.