The SADC Secretariat, the SADC Business Council, and the government of Malawi will be hosting the 5th annual SADC industrialization Week (SIW) from 22-26 November 2021 at Bingu Wa Mutharika International Convention Centre in, Lilongwe. This year’s event will allow for both physical and virtual participation because of COVID-19. Only 200 participants will be allowed to participate physically at the SIW 2021.
The SADC industrialization Week is an annual public-private engagement platform aimed at fostering new opportunities for intra-African trade and investment. The theme for this year is ‘Bolstering Productive Capacities in the Face of COVID 19 Pandemic for Inclusive, Sustainable Economic and Industrial Transformation’ specifically focusing on the following:
- Bolstering Productive Capacities in the Face of COVID 19 Pandemic for Inclusive, Sustainable Economic and Industrial Transformation
- Infrastructure Identification and Support of key Generation and Transmission Projects required for Industrialization
- Financial services and opportunities for financing industrialization within the SADC region
- Positioning SADC Private Sector to Take Advantage of the AfCFTA and the role of electronic Payment Systems in promoting regional and continental trade (AfCFTA)
- Trade Facilitation focusing on identifying and resolving Non-Tariff Barriers, (NTBs), Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) and SQAM Infrastructure in Bolstering Productive Capacities in the Face of COVID 19 Pandemic
- Update on the operationalization of the SADC Medicine Registration and Harmonization Initiative (ZAZIBONA) SADC local pharmaceutical manufacturing initiative and SADC Pooled Procurement Services.
- Building linkages between MSMEs and MNCs in support of industrialisation and the role of technology incubators in MSME development in Southern Africa
- Illicit financial flows: The myths and truths in the Mining Industry
- 4IR, Science, Technology, and Innovation in support of industrialization
- Tax Regime Harmonization- Fears, Benefits and Way Forward
The SADC industrialization Week format features keynote addresses from high profile speakers on a wide range of themes and topics; panel discussions with industry experts and project owners; break-away sessions of key topical concern; exhibitions; matchmaking for SMEs as well factory tours.
Recommendations and outputs from this event will be included in the SIW declaration statement which will be presented to the SADC Council of Ministers, a body which determines policy discussions for Heads of State for actioning.
Note: Meetings links for online participation will be shared with all registered participants closer to the event.