Dear SAPHA Members,
It is our great pleasure to publish an abbreviated version of the South Asian Public Health Association (SAPHA) Fall 2015 Newsletter. You will be able to find a link to the full newsletter on our website later on this week.
Since our last correspondence during the summer, SAPHA's Board has been vigorously working on preparing for the American Public Health Association (APHA) conference.
Here are a few highlights from our efforts.
- The SAPHA Board will host a Chai & Chat reception, which is open to the public on Sunday, November 1 from 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM, in Room S104A at McCormick Place. We are excited to announce that the 19th United States Surgeon General, Vice Admiral Dr. Vivek Murthy, will be in attendance and share a few words regarding public health issues in the South Asian community.
- We invite you to join us and hear more about SAPHA's mission, accomplishments, and future directions! You do not need to be an APHA member, or be registered for the conference, in order to attend.
- Please RSVP at our Facebook event here: facebook.com/events/894813753934371/ or to Susmita.Paul[at]williams.edu
- The American Public Health Association (APHA) Annual Meeting will be held in Chicago from Saturday, October 31st to Wednesday, November 4th, 2015.
- For a list of Asian Pacific Islander Caucus (APIC) sponsored events, SAPHA has compiled a list of all meetings, posters, and abstracts. You can view the compilation here: http://tinyurl.com/SAPHAAPIC2015
- For a list of abstracts on various South Asian and South Asian American public health research, you can find a compendium of all posters and oral sessions here (sorted by day and by country of research): http://tinyurl.com/SAPHA2015
- Our signature project, a book, "Health of South Asians in the US: An Evidence-based Guide for Policy and Program Development" is in the process of being published. The Research Committee volunteers have put lots of energy, time and sweat to complete this project. Forty authors have contributed sixteen chapters since the book's inception.
- We are seeking sponsorships at this time to cover the printing and publishing costs. If you are interested to become a sponsor, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Membership Committee is continuing its membership drive this month. Please consider joining our team of professionals by visiting the membership sign up link on this page.
- Professional ($50) and student-level ($30) memberships are available. As a SAPHA member, you will have voting rights and eligibility to run for the SAPHA Board of Directors; eligible to chair a SAPHA committee; invitations to events hosted by SAPHA and partner organizations; and access to exclusive member-only portions of the website.
Lastly, we would like for you to join the dedicated SAPHA Board of Directors and become a part of improving the health of South Asian communities in the US. We are accepting applications for our Board of Directors, to serve from 2016 through 2018.
We welcome applications from all individuals who are dedicated to forwarding SAPHA's mission and who have paid SAPHA membership dues by the date of application. You can download the application here: http://bit.ly/1Kp9fE0. The application period will remain open until Saturday, October 31, 2015. All completed applications should be emailed to email@example.com. We encourage you to apply!
Thank you. And we hope to see some of you at the APHA conference this weekend! Please do join us as we greet Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy at our Chia & Chat on Sunday night.
SAPHA Board 2015