UPDATE | POLICY ACTION COMMITTEE [PAC]
JOIN NEXT PAC MEETING
FEBRUARY 25, 2021 @ 3 pm
RECAP | PAC MEETING JANUARY 7, 2021
REGULATORY UPDATES | XCEL ENERGY 2021-2022 DSM PLAN SETTLEMENT PROCEEDING
RESULTS | PROCESS & SUMMARY of “WINS”
The EEBC identified key DSM initiatives from our front-line member feedback about the challenges they experience in bringing EE and BE products, specifically Heat Pumps, and services to market. EEBC members worked to remove these barriers with the EEBC and Dietze & Davis (EEBC’s legal counsel).
In the Xcel Energy 2021-2022 DSM Plan settlement process, EEBC PAC members submitted 16 different product proposals and/or measures to be included in the 2021-2022 DSM Plan. EEBC also presented two different pilot proposals for consideration, for a total of 16 different proposals. In this plan, Xcel negotiated results for 13 of the 16 proposals accepted – 13 Yes and 3 No.
Settled Xcel 2021-2022 DSM Plan
SETTLEMENT GOALS 2021
- 538 GWh; 103 MW Demand Reduction from DSM
- 780,872 Dth
SETTLEMENT GOALS 2022
- 523 GWh; 102 MW demand reduction from DSM
- 799,708 Dth
2021: $90 M electric and $18.5 M gas
2022: $90 M electric and $18.5 M gas
COMMENTARY | Of the $100M Plan Budget, around 78% represent Energy Efficiency measures and about 10% Beneficial Electrification/Heat Pump Technology measures. However, Beneficial Electrification adoption of new measures and future trending measures were the theme and most discussed proposals in the Settlement Proceedings with Xcel Energy and the stakeholders.
REMINDER | EEBC relies on its members to drive the rebate proposals agenda of the EEBC to what is most important to the rebate programs that impact our business every two years.
SEE TABLE | SEE SUBMISSION PROPOSALS
- Based on the Settlement, on December 7, 2020, the ALJ granted the parties’ request to vacate the remaining procedural schedule and set a one-day Settlement Hearing to take place next month on January 21, 2021.
- The ALJ reviewed the Joint Motion, the Settlement Agreement, the testimony filed in support of the Settlement Agreement, and the CEC’s Statement of Non-Opposition and determined that the January 21, 2021 hearing was unnecessary in light of the information contained in those documents.
- A Recommended Decision approving the Application, as modified by the Settlement Agreement, should be issued in the coming weeks – early February – finding that the Plan is in the public interest, just, and reasonable.
- Following this approval, Xcel Energy will file a need to work to implement the Plan before it is officially launched.
- As part of the Settlement Agreement, the new year will begin with Xcel’s 2019-2020 DSM Plan remaining in place and continue until the new 2021-2022 Plan is approved and implemented by Xcel Energy. It is likely that the new Plan and some new rebates will go into effect 2Q around July.
For rebate details, contact Ann Kirkpatrick, Trade Relations Manager email@example.com.
JOIN IN PAC MEETINGS AND WORKING GROUPS FOR OPPORTUNITIES
TO INFLUENCE BUILDING LEGISLATION BILLS OUTCOMES
CHAMPION THESE LEGISLATION BILLS
- Commercial Building Benchmarking and Standards
- Most commercial and multifamily buildings over 50,000 sq ft
- Benchmarking starts for 2021
- Scores published online by CEO
- Upgrade requirements every five years starting in 2026
- Initial upgrade requirements hardwired in the bill; subsequent requirements set by AQCC
GOAL | 20% Energy Savings and GHG Emissions Eduction by 2030
- Natural Gas DSM Policy
- PUC will set natural gas savings targets for regulated gas utilities
- Gas utilities include the social cost of carbon and methane emissions in cost-benefit analysis
- The social discount rate used for determining NPV of economic benefits (customer cost share)
GOAL | Expansion of Gas Utility Energy Efficiency Programs
- Beneficial Electrification in Buildings
- PUC will set electrification targets for Xcel Energy and Black Hills Energy
- Electric utilities prepare and receive approval of BEB program plans
- Utilities implement programs promoting and providing incentives for the adoption of heat pumps, HPWHs, etc.
- Utilities report annually on program impacts
GOAL | Robust Utility BEB Programs and Rapid Expansion of BE Market