5th Grade Screenings:
Vision and Hearing screenings will be conducted on all 5th grade students on October 3rd and 4th. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please contact the nurse, Kali Campbell at 469-742-8307.
POWERSCHOOL PARENT PORTAL ABSENCES REPORTING
In the Parent Portal, there is a new left navigation icon EXCUSE ABSENCES. This can be used to notify the campuses of the reason for student absences. This does not supersede the requirement for any documentation that required by the state (see below); however, it does supersede the phone call and/or emails notifying the campus of the student absences.
In the case of absences for the following reasons, in addition to completing this form the appropriate documentation must be sent to the campus attendance clerk before the student is counted as present:
- Doctor appointments
- Religious holy days
- Required court appearances
- Activities surrounding the student's application for naturalization/citizenship
- 4H show participation
- Service as an election clerk
- Court ordered DFPS activities
- Official college visits for grades 11 and 12
- Enlisting in the military
- Sounding Taps at a military funeral
- Absences due to visits with parents/guardians deployed with the military
Clicking the EXCUSE ABSENCES icon will open up an attendance summary screen.
The summary screen has either 1 or 2 buttons at the top, a box showing any outstanding parent portal attendance requests not yet cleared by the school in the Admin Portal (as soon as you create a new request it will appear there), and all historical attendance data, separated by year tabs showing the date, period, course and attendance type.
If the parent portal account is tied to only one student at that school, you will only have a single button at the top to Excuse Absences for that student. If the parent has more than one student
in the same school
tied to their parent portal account, they will see two buttons:
- One button on the left to excuse absences just for the one student that you have selected
- One button on the right to excuse absences for all of the students in the same school with one entry.
SINGLE STUDENT EXCUSE ABSENCE ENTRY SCREEN - All fields are required
- Parents enter the date of the absence.
- If it is more than one day, select the option More than 1 day in a row. Enter the start date in the Date of Absence and the end date in the End Date of Absence field that displays once you select More than 1 day in a row.
- Select ALL DAY or enter the time or periods of the absence.
- Select the Type of Absence from the pop-up menu.
- Enter the specific reason for the absence.
MULTIPLE STUDENT EXCUSE ABSENCE ENTRY SCREEN - - All fields are required
This option is available if the parent has more than one student
IN THE SAME SCHOOL
tied to their parent portal account. The parent has the same entry options as the single student entry page but note that when using the multi-student option you will submit the data to a confirmation page first and then save the data on the following screen.
The confirmation page lists the records that will be created.
The parent can either submit the data or cancel.
If the same absence applies to students from another school, you will have to click on that student within the parent portal and complete the Excuse Absences entry for any students at that campus. Currently there is not a way to enter absences for students across campuses.