Service Society Information:
Through a points system, SEDA rewards dancers for being involved and contributing to the betterment of our community. Here is how it works: Under the mailboxes in the studio lobby, you will find plastic bins. These bins are used to collect items for a specific cause or project that is being hosted. The projects change often as we have so many students that want to help within their communities, so be sure to check the bin labels to know what is being collected. Remember- helping out a cause and providing items to be collected do NOT have to be purchased! Many items being collected are often household items that we no longer use, or have in excess; some common items are toiletry supplies (extra toothbrushes and floss from dentist visits), canned foods, children and adult clothing, coats, etc.
What if I contribute items, but I haven’t yet hosted a project—do I receive anything for helping out? Of course- any and all help is greatly appreciated! Each time you contribute, stop in the office and get a “society slip.” Each time you bring an item to be placed in a bin you receive 2 points. If you attend a service function outside of the studio you will receive 5 points. At various times, extra points can be earned for certain projects; check the board for details. Please fill out the slip; the office receives one copy and you keep the other copy for your records. If a slip is not filled out, we cannot give you credit- so be sure to have one filled out and signed by a staff member. Before you know it, the points will add up!
Interested in hosting a project?
1. Type up a sheet to include: your name, explanation of the project, name of the group benefiting from the project, and the duration for collecting items.
2. Bring the sheet to the office; you will receive 20 points for hosting the project.
3. You MUST get office approval for any project before a bin can be placed under the mailboxes for collection.
4. Fill out a “Society Slip;” one copy stays with the office, and you keep the other copy for your records.
5. Put a copy/notice of your project on the community service board in the lobby.
6. The office will supply you bins to collect items for your project (these are the only bins that can be used). DO NOT take bins out of the studio.
7. Label the bins with the items desired for collection and place the UNDER the mailboxes in the lobby.
8. Check the bins for any donated items each time you come to the studio. This ensures that all items get to you and keep the bin from overflowing.
9. Once your project is over, return the bins to the office.