SFNE is currently accepting applications for the scholarship, which was established to assist qualified students, and to encourage interest in the fabricated structural steel construction industry.
SFNE will award two $1,000 scholarships.
The deadline to apply for the SFNE Scholarship is July 2, 2018.
The SFNE scholarship winners will be announced on August 1, 2018.
SFNE is reaching out to all vocational schools in New England to promote the scholarship. We need your help in providing contacts of schools you have already developed a relationship with. To submit your contact, please email
The SFNE scholarship is just one way that the association is engaged in a more comprehensive effort to address the shortage of skilled trade workers moving into the steel fabrication industry in New England. To increase interest in the steel fabrication trade, SFNE will engage high school and vocational school students to promote the viability of trade careers.
For some time, emphasis has been placed on preparing high school students for college. SFNE wants to reverse that trend and develop relationships with teachers and schools to demonstrate that a career and salaries in the steel fabrication trade can be comparable with a college graduate.
The SFNE scholarship will be funded through member donations and we would appreciate your contribution.
to donate online (you can pay by credit card or check)
The SFNE scholarship is available to:
- High school students who will attend a welding program at a technical school or a community college;
- Students enrolled in or who will attend a Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Construction Engineering Structural Engineering, Welding Technology or Construction Management programs;
- Undergraduate juniors, seniors or master’s level graduate students;
- Student attending universities in CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, or VT -- full-time; and a
- U.S. citizen
Applicants must meet the following selection criteria to be eligible for the award.
- Have been accepted to, or currently attending a technical school, two or four-year degree college program, or participating in a graduate degree program.
- Have achieved a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA out of a possible 4.0 in the grading period preceding their scholarship application.
- Provide evidence of acceptance to a school; or if currently in college, provide proof of enrollment.
- Complete the SFNE Scholarship Application and provide a letter of recommendation.
to download the SFNE Scholarship Flyer & Application