We end this week with two liturgical celebrations, the memorial of Saint Maximilian Kolbe, Priest and Martyr on Friday, August 14, and Saturday, August 15 is the solemnity of THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY. While August 15 is not a Holy Day of Obligation this year, as a solemnity, this feast day represents dogma in our faith, as Pope Pius XII said, “that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever-Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory.” What powerful intercessors in our time of crisis!
Current data related to the Coronavirus is trending in the right direction. The infection rate in Fairfax County remains low at 1.08 indicating infection is still spreading but at a low rate (see covidactnow.org). The infection rate in nearby Loudoun County is at 1.02. The positivity rate for tests in all regions in Virginia 8%. Please keep yourselves safe…wear a mask, keep your distance, wash your hands, avoid crowds!
At this point, about 25% of our families have opted for distance learning, leaving about 75% of students attending class in-person. As I mentioned at the Town Hall, the teachers feel like we all feel with respect to COVID-19 and the return to school. With respect for the needs of our teachers and staff, I announce the following personnel actions:
We welcome Mrs. Mary Ann Tarbell to the faculty. Mrs. Tarbell will teach 7th and 8th grade language arts, 7th grade social studies and 7 Red homeroom. Mrs. Tarbell has 7 years experience, having taught English for Prince George's County Public Schools, Prince William County Public Schools and Alexandria City Public Schools. Mrs. Tarbell earned a bachelor’s degree in Communications and Media Studies from Edinboro University (PA), a master’s degree in English from Gannon University (PA) and a master’s degree in English Education from Edinboro University (PA). She holds a VA Postgraduate Professional License in English, as well as English as a second language.
Mrs. Lynn Zimney moves from 3 Blue to work remotely, and act as the liaison for our Distance Learning families, grades K-8. While parents can always reach out to their child’s classroom teacher, parents should call upon Mrs. Zimney for logistics questions that arise for distance learners. Additionally, Mrs. Zimney will collaborate with classroom teachers to provide support instruction for distance learner students in grades 1-4.
Miss Maggie Allbright joins the faculty as 3 Blue teacher. Miss Allbright is new to the teaching profession, having earned a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from Liberty University (VA) and a master’s degree in elementary education, anticipated August 2020, from Grand Canyon University (online). Virginia teacher certification to follow.
Mrs. Nancy Tierney will support our distance learning students remotely by providing instructional support for learning resource distance learners in grades K-5 and study skills/organizational support for distance learners in K-8. Mrs. Tierney will collaborate with classroom teachers to support distance students’ needs.
Mrs. Karen Tiufekchiev will move from Kindergarten instructional assistant to remote teaching, and will support the learning needs of our distance learning kindergarten students. Mrs. Tiufekchiev will collaborate closely with the Kindergarten team of teachers, and she will be available to reteach content, and support the learning needs of our youngest students.
Mrs. Mary Bilbo moves to a hybrid teaching schedule providing live in-person instruction three days per week to 7th and 8th grades students in Literature and Math. Two days per week, Mrs. Bilbo will provide live-streamed instruction to the 7th and 8th grades students. An instructional assistant will support the students in the classroom on the two days Mrs. Bilbo teaches remotely.
Mr. Eric Boyd moves to a remote teaching platform. Mr. Boyd will live-stream instruction for all his classes. He will be available for additional support for both distance learners and in-person learners on a scheduled basis. Mrs. Lisa Carson will provide support for Mr. Boyd’s in-person classes.
Mrs. Catherine Morrison moves from 5th and 6th grade instructional assistant to provide instructional support for distance learning students in grades 5-8. Mrs. Morrison will collaborate with classroom teachers to support distance students’ needs.
I also announce the sad news that Mr. Mark Sawasky has resigned his position with Garwood-Whaley Music. Mr. Sawasky is an amazing band director, and he will be greatly missed. The Garwood-Whaley leadership is working to hire a new band director for SJS. I will pass along information as it is made available.
As always, if you have any questions, or if I can be of any assistance, please let me know.
Go to Joseph
Building Wisdom and Faith Through Service to God