As the dawn of Christmas morn approaches, the Sisters of Notre Dame send our prayerful best wishes and gratitude for your presence on our journey. May these words fill your heart with an abundance of peace.
As the sun circles the earth...
at every moment...
dawn is breaking forth...near or far...
gently, silently, flooding the earth with light.
At dawn and at every moment...
God's grace is breaking forth...
gently, silently, flooding the earth
with divine life and light...
In every person
In every place
In every encounter
In every inspiration
In every call to duty
In every difficulty
In every joy
At each dawn and every moment of 2020, may you experience
God's guidance...and peace.
This is the wish for each of our readers from the Sisters of Notre Dame in 18 countries around the world.
Sr. M. Lisa Megaffin, S.N.D.
Director of Mission Advancement Services
'Tis the Season for Giving Back,
cherishing honored traditions
Here is a look at the ways the SND sponsored institutions are giving back during this holiday season. Generous outreach has always been a cherished tradition in SND education!
- La Reina High School & Middle School, Thousand Oaks (pictured above), partnered with the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels to sponsor 11 families through the Adopt-a-Family program. Students and staff provide Christmas gifts as well as household essentials for families in need in the downtown Los Angeles area.
- Notre Dame Academy, Los Angeles, raised $500 for South Central LAMP (an SND partner ministry) and sent a van of canned goods for the mothers and children who receive services at LAMP. They also raised $300 for Catholic Charities Angel's Flight program serving Runaway Teens.
- Notre Dame Academy Elementary School, Los Angeles, partnered with St. Timothy's Youth Ministry and collected toys for Santo Nino Childcare Center, a ministry of Catholic Charities that focuses on empowerment, dignity and inclusion for low-income working families. The school's Squires 'n' Knights music group also sang carols for the residents of Nazareth House, a Catholic-centered assisted living facility near the campus.
- Notre Dame Learning Center, Thousand Oaks, read stories about children living in poverty and collected canned goods to be donated to a local charity. Even the youngest kids learned how they could make a difference this holiday season!
"on the move for good" at the 2020 Nun Run!
The Sisters of Notre Dame are pleased to announce that Mike Scioscia (former LA Dodger and retired manager of the Los Angeles Angels) will serve as the Grand Marshall and kick-off the Nun Run on February 1!
Be sure to register by January 3 to save $5 per registration since the prices for the 5K and 1-mile fun walk increase on January 4.
Can't make it on February 1? You can register as a Virtual Runner and still receive a medal and T-shirt so you can run on your own anytime, anyplace.
Support your favorite team in our team challenges or create your own team. Prizes will be awarded for the largest and for the most-spirited teams! And special
thanks to our sponsors
. Proceeds from the event will support the SND Life & Ministry Fund, providing spiritual, educational and social outreach, both locally and around the world. Thank you--we look forward to seeing you there!
featuring our mission colleagues
In case you missed any of these stories of "where are they now" during 2019,
follow this link
to meet Sr. Lois Best, S.N.D., Gabriella Brignardello, Cathy Brunasso Cota, Fr. Paul Janowick, S.J., Lizette Martinez, Fr. Raymond Marquez, Melodie Camp Santana, Kimberly Shivley Tharpe and Mackenzie Vandergeest.
The "Where are they now" feature of the SND Mission Advancement Egram will give updates on our colleagues and former students--anyone entrusted to our care. We want to share how they live the SND mission by serving, leading, and giving hope within our diverse society. To submit information for this column, please email Sarah Marcuse at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARTNERSHIP WITH THE SNDs,
bringing hope and peace to our world
There's still time to make a 2019 gift
to support the ministries of the Sisters of Notre Dame.
* Consider giving appreciated stock, which allows you to make a bigger philanthropic impact by avoiding capital gains taxes.
* If you are age 70 ½ or older, consider making a charitable gift directly from your traditional IRA. An IRA "charitable rollover" counts toward your minimum required distribution and the amount transferred is not subject to federal income tax.
* If you'd like to make a gift via a mailed check, it must be postmarked on or before December 31. Credit card gifts or direct debit gifts (from a bank account) may be made
through December 31.
For more information, please contact Sr. Lisa Megaffin at 805-402-8623 or
. Thank you and God bless you for being a partner with the Sisters of Notre Dame in sharing the hope and peace that Christ brings to our world.
Events and quick links
HUMAN TRAFFICKING AWARENESS MONTH
NUN RUN EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION CLOSES
Friday, January 3, 11:50 p.m.
SIXTH ANNUAL NUN RUN & COMMUNITY SERVICE FAIR
Saturday, February 1, 8:00 a.m.
La Reina High School & Middle School
106 W. Janss Rd., Thousand Oaks 91360
Saturday, February 22, 8:30 p.m.
Religious Education Congress, Anaheim Convention Center
Incorporating her newest liturgical and fine art photography and reflections, Sr. Rose Marie Tulacz will lead participants to encounter the power of the Father's love, transforming the realities of daily life.
FOOD PANTRY VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
South Central LAMP
892 E. 48th St., Los Angeles 90011
RSVP by email to Ninette Ayala
For information about other coming events, follow this link to the calendar of events.
Cast (Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking) 2019 Impact Report
Special thanks to our contributors to this egram: Jen Coito, Darlene Goodman, Sr. M. Jolisa Lazaro, Sarah Marcuse, Chad Ribordy, Lisa Stupar,
Betsy Ward and Erika Wolfe-Heckler