This is an update regarding the Colorado Sex Offender Management Board’s work on the Standards and Guidelines for the Assessment, Evaluation, Treatment and Behavioral Monitoring of Adult Sex Offenders and the Assessment, Treatment and Supervision of Juveniles Who Have Committed Sexual Offenses.
Included in this bulletin regarding the Adult and Juvenile Standards and Guidelines:
1. Ratifications Approved by the Board
a. Section 4 Revisions
2. Solicitation for Public Comment
3. Board Meeting Agenda Items
a. See Below
4. Any other changes or important updates
a. Solicitation for ARC Membership
b. Application Updates
RECENT APPROVAL BY THE BOARD:
On August 21, 2020, the Board approved:
Revision to Section 4 (Adult & Juvenile)
- To Polygraph Section consistent with previous revisions for Treatment Providers and Evaluators
- Language added discussing administrative and third-party investigations, as well as demonstrating compliance with the Standards and attesting to the commitment to comply with these Standards.
- Revisions to the training requirement: 40 hours of training which includes the SOMB Standards Introduction or SOMB Booster training.
- Revisions to the third-party investigation regarding reference checks being completed, and the SOMB requesting additional references or further background investigation.
- Revisions with the Period of Compliance, adding a Grace Period for Renewal along with an Eligibility for Future Renewal section.
- Revisions to the Not Currently Practicing status and moving from active status to an administrative inactive status.
- Revision Specific to Polygraph Section not covered in the Treatment Provider and Evaluators sections.
- Removal of “Intent to Apply.” All new polygraph examiners will be approved at the Associate Level.
- Revisions to ‘number of exams’ to be completed by each level of examiners. Must now contain exams for both adults and juveniles if applying for both populations, but no specified number of exams for each population.
- Training hours were adjusted to reflect a total of 40 hours, which must contain both adult and juvenile trainings if applying for both populations.
- Removal of 10 hours of DD/ID specific training which is consistent with Treatment and Evaluator requirements
- Revisions for quality assurance exams. Exams for existing providers who are seeking the same status. Approved polygraph examiners are only required to submit 1 exam for quality assurance per population. For example, 1 adult, 1 juvenile, 1 DD/ID, etc.
- Revision to include supervision for any out-of-state applicants to ensure compliance with the SOMB standards.
- Revision of specific requirements for Associate level Polygraph Examiner Supervision with what is required and what additional options are available.
- Reduction in hours of supervision required to be consistent with Treatment Providers and Evaluators.
****Sections 4.930 (C), 4.940 (C), 4.960 (D) & 4.970 (B), the requirement for Polygraph Examiners to completed a Standards Introduction or Booster, will not be in effect for polygraph examiners until JANUARY 1, 2021 to allow time to obtain the required training.
SOLICITATION FOR PUBLIC COMMENT:
On August 21, 2020, there were no request for public comment.
AUGUST BOARD MEETING AGENDA ITEMS:
- Probation and Parole Panel on Responding to Violations of Supervision Conditions. Angel Weant, SOMB Member; Jeff Geist, Parole Division; and Danielle Eckhart, 9th Judicial District Probation Office. Overview of Strategies for Behavior Change program in Probation. Parole overview of programs and procedures for dealing with violations of those on supervision
- Sex Offender Surcharge Fund Spending Allocation discussion.
- Proposal to the board regarding ongoing Committees and how to update the Board. The Board will continue to discuss how often Committees should provide updates to maintain consistency with Board engagement.
- Introduction of a standardized Committee Charter for all SOMB Committees and work groups.
- Audit Compliance Planning – Susan Redmond, CDPS, presented the SOMB Audit Findings by the State Auditors Office to the Legislative Audit Committee. SOMB staff outlined plans to address the findings.
Should you have questions regarding any of these agenda items, please contact the SOMB Staff listed below.
OTHER CHANGES OR UPDATES:
- Become a member of the Application Review Committee today!
The Application Review Committee (ARC) consists of eight (8) voting members, including a minimum of four (4) Board members and up to four (4) non-Board members. Would you like to be involved in the work of the SOMB? The Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) and the Application Review Committee (ARC) are seeking nominations for the following positions:
- Juvenile Evaluator and Treatment Provider APPLICATION
- Adult Developmental Delay/Intellectual Disability Treatment Provider & Evaluator APPLICATION
Members of the ARC serve two‐year terms, can be reappointed for up to two consecutive terms. Members of the ARC meet twice monthly, for 3 hours.
All eligible nominees are encouraged to apply. Applications are due by September 18, 2020. Please download the nomination form to your computer & email the completed nomination form and attachments to Erin Austin email@example.com
or Raechel Alderete firstname.lastname@example.org
Training Opportunity: Introduction to the Standards Trainings are now available on the SOMB Website Training Page. Currently available: Introduction and Guiding Principles, Definitions, Section 1 & Section 2, and Section All Sections will be available by January 2021.
- The Next SOMB Provider LUNCH AND LEARN will be scheduled for October 8, 2020.
- As the end of the 2020 provider approval year approaches, all reapplications are due August 31, 2020.
- PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE USING THE MOST UPDATED APPLICATIONS FOR YOUR RENEWAL THE SOMB IS NOW ACCEPTING ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS.
ATTENTION POLYGRAPH EXAMINERS: Please review the new requirements in section 4 for renewal and use the most recent applications dated August 2020.
- Applications can be scanned and emailed directly to the SOMB
- Teletherapy Variance: Extended until OCTOBER 31, 2020.
As you review this updated information and questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact a Standards Coordinator via email or telephone.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Erin Austin Raechel Alderete
Adult Standards Coordinator Juvenile Standards Coordinator