SOMB Adult & Juvenile Standards
Update July 2020
This is an update regarding the Colorado Sex Offender Management Board’s work on the
Standards and Guidelines for the Assessment, Evaluation, Treatment
Behavioral Monitoring of Adult Sex Offenders and the
Assessment, Treatment and Supervision of Juveniles Who Have Committed Sexual Offenses
Included in this bulletin regarding the Adult
Juvenile Standards and Guidelines:
Ratifications Approved by the Board
Solicitation for Public Comment
Board Meeting Agenda Items
Any other changes or updates made
RECENT APPROVAL BY THE BOARD:
On July 17, 2020, the Board approved:
Revisions to the Sex Offender Management Board Bylaws
Article 5 – Quorum
- Extended quorum requirements to SOMB Committees with appointed members.
Article 6 – Voting and Development of Consensus
- Extended voting and development of consensus to SOMB Committees with appointed members.
Article 7 – Ethics and Conflict of Interest
- Addition of a formalized conflict of interest disclosure requirement for appointed members of SOMB Committees.
Article 8 – Committees and Work Groups
- Added current SOMB Committees.
Article 9 – Application Review Committee (ARC)
- Revision to the makeup of the ARC.
- Changed membership to include non-board members as well as formalize roles within the committee.
- Formalized the roles of Chair and Vice Chair
- Formalized process for recording votes
Article 10 – Best Practices Committee
- New Article
- Outlined membership and procedures of the Committee
Article 11 – Surcharge Allocation Committee
- New Article
- Outlined membership and procedures of the Committee
SOLICITATION FOR PUBLIC COMMENT:
On July 17,2020, the Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) approved the following revisions to the Standards and Guidelines for the Assessment, Evaluation, Treatment and Behavioral Monitoring of Adult Sex Offenders,
Assessment, Treatment and Supervision of
Juveniles Who Have Committed Sexual Offenses and Administrative Policies:
Revision to Section 4 (Adult & Juvenile)
To Polygraph Section consistent with previous revisions for Treatment Providers and Evaluators
- Language added discussing administrative and third-party investigations, as well as demonstrating compliance with the Standards and attesting to the commitment to comply with these Standards.
- Revisions to the training requirement: 40 hours of training which includes the SOMB Standards Introduction or SOMB Booster training.
- Revisions to the third-party investigation regarding reference checks being completed, and the SOMB requesting additional references or further background investigation.
- Revisions with the Period of Compliance, adding a Grace Period for Renewal along with an Eligibility for Future Renewal section.
- Revisions to the Not Currently Practicing status and moving from active status to an administrative inactive status.
Revision Specific to Polygraph Section not covered in the Treatment Provider and Evaluators sections.
- Removal of “Intent to Apply.” All new polygraph examiners will be approved at the Associate Level.
o Revisions to ‘number of exams’ to be completed by each level of examiners. Must now contain exams for both adults and juveniles if applying for both populations, but no specified number of exams for each population.
o Training hours were adjusted to reflect a total of 40 hours, which must contain both adult and juvenile trainings if applying for both populations.
- Removal of 10 hours of DD/ID specific training which is consistent with Treatment and Evaluator requirements
o Revisions for quality assurance exams.
- Exams for existing providers who are seeking the same status. Approved polygraph examiners are only required to submit 1 exam for quality assurance per population. For example, 1 adult, 1 juvenile, 1 DD/ID, etc..
o Revision to include supervision for any out-of-state applicants to ensure compliance with the SOMB standards.
o Revision of specific requirements for Associate level Polygraph Examiner Supervision with what is required and what additional options are available.
o Reduction in hours of supervision required to be consistent with Treatment Providers and Evaluators.
The Board is now seeking your input on these revised sections of the Standards. All public comments are due on August 10, 2020 and will be provided to the SOMB on August 21, 2020. (Please note, when public comment is presented to the SOMB, your identifying information is not included.) On August 21, 2020, the SOMB will review your comments to determine if these comments need to be incorporated into additional Standards changes prior to ratification and publication.
View the proposed change to the Standards
. To submit public comment
JULY BOARD MEETING AGENDA ITEMS:
- Presentation on the work of the Restorative Justice (RJ) Council regarding the potential use and impact of RJ practices for sexual offense cases by Carolina Thomasson, staff member for the Office of Domestic Violence and Sex Offender Management (ODVSOM) and Colorado Department of Public Safety representative to the RJ Council.
- Annual Required Training on Board Processes by Ingrid Barrier, Attorney General’s Office.
- Branding Presenting – Be on the lookout for the NEW SOMB/DVOMB/ODVSOM Branding!
- SOMB Strategic Action Plan Work Group Updates
Should you have questions regarding any of these agenda items, please contact the SOMB Staff listed below.
OTHER CHANGES OR UPDATES:
As the end of the 2020 provider approval year approaches, ALL APPROVED PROVIDERS should check their listing and expiration date! The SOMB staff sends reminders as a courtesy but it is the responsibility of each approved provider to keep track of their listing status and information.
*****THERE ARE UPDATED APPLICATIONS ON THE WEBSITE. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE USING THE MOST UPDATED APPLICATIONS FOR YOUR RENEWAL THE SOMB IS NOW ACCEPTING ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS.*****
********IMPORTANT REMINDER TO ALL APPROVED PROVIDERS*******
The Telehealth/ E-Therapy Variance has been extended until
October 31, 2020
There is no need to file an additional request to continue providing services through Telehealth
or E-Therapy for those who have previously submitted a variance. Please refer to the SOMB Guidance to Approved Providers Regarding COVID-19 for more information.
***Applications can be scanned and Emailed directly to the SOMB due to COVID-19 and Staff working remotely**
As you review this updated information and questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact a Standards Coordinator via email or telephone.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Erin Austin Raechel Alderete
Adult Standards Coordinator Juvenile Standards Coordinator