This is an update regarding the Colorado Sex Offender Management Board’s work on the Standards and Guidelines for the Assessment, Evaluation, Treatment and Behavioral Monitoring of Adult Sex Offenders and the Assessment, Treatment and Supervision of Juveniles Who Have Committed Sexual Offenses.
Included in this bulletin regarding the Adult and Juvenile Standards and Guidelines:
1. Ratifications Approved by the Board
2. Solicitation for Public Comment
3. Board Meeting Agenda Items
4. Any other changes or important updates
RECENT APPROVAL BY THE BOARD:
On October 16, 2020, the Board approved the following:
- Disclosure of the Memorandum dated 09-08-20 Regarding Legal Advice on Conflict of Interest form the Attorney General’s Officer to the Office of the State Auditor and the Legislative Audit Committee
- Three charters for Sex Offender Management Board Committees:
- Application Review Committee
- Best Practice Committee
- Surcharge Allocation Committee
- SOMB Standards Operating Procedures
- Application Processing
- Complaint Processing
- Research Implementation
SOLICITATION FOR PUBLIC COMMENT:
On September 18, 2020, there were no request for public comment.
SEPTEMBER BOARD MEETING AGENDA ITEMS:
- SOMB Staff Statistical Analyst Yuanting Zhang presented on the Use of Tele-mental Health Therapy by the SOMB Provider.
Program Coordinator, Marina Borysov provided an update to the Board on the Strategic Work Groups. Most groups have completed their objectives and others are nearly finished. Erin Austin presented a brief overview of changes to the Bylaws to bring consistency and efficiency to Board processes. Jesse Hansen provided an update regarding Communication and the team is wrapping up and identifying steps to implement the proposed communication strategy.
- A new Appendix was brought to the Board for review to replace the current Lifetime Supervision Criteria. This would direct individuals to the individual policies and regulations of the Department of Corrections, Judicial Department and Treatment Agencies when considering the Lifetime Supervision Act Criteria.
- In acknowledgment of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, October 2020, Victim Advocate Bridget Dyson shared her powerful story of abuse and journey of recovery.
Should you have questions regarding any of these agenda items, please contact the SOMB Staff listed below.
OTHER CHANGES OR IMPORTANT UPDATES:
- Sexually Violent Predator Assessment Screening Instrument (SVPASI). The instructions regarding part 3a, 3b, and 3c will be revised to provide more direction on the order of completion and how to proceed through each step. No changes are being made to the assessment.
BECOME A MEMBER OF THE APPLICATION REVIEW COMMITTEE (ARC) or the BEST PRACTICES COMMITTEE TODAY! Please send inquiries to a Standards Coordinator.
- Training Opportunity: Introduction to the Adult Standards Trainings are now available on the SOMB Website: SOMB Training Events.
- Currently available: Introduction and Guiding Principles, Definitions, Section 1 & Section 2, and Section 3. All Sections of the Adult Standards will be available by January 2021. Stay tuned for information regarding the Juvenile Standards.
- The Next SOMB Provider LUNCH AND LEARN is scheduled for November 12, 2020 and will be on Section 4 of the Adult and Juvenile Standards: Qualifications of Approved Treatment Providers, Evaluators and Polygraph Examiners.
Teletherapy Variance: Extended until JANUARY 1, 2020 – STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFORMATION! No Requirement for Additional Variance request at this time!
- Please ensure you are using the updated applications (June/July 2020) when applying for move up, add on or renewal.
As you review this updated information and questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact a Standards Coordinator via email or telephone.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Erin Austin Raechel Alderete
Adult Standards Coordinator Juvenile Standards Coordinator