Any decisions on school or county office closures will be made MONDAY by noon.
Subtropical Storm Alberto - Update #5
Landfall forecast more easterly, weather not expected to be as severe
5 p.m., Sun., May 27
- Santa Rosa County Emergency Management staff continue to closely monitor Subtropical Storm Alberto along with the
National Weather Service in Mobile
- The Emergency Operations Center remains at a monitoring level.
- The Citizens Information Center (CIC) remains open. Call 850-983-INFO (4636) if you have any questions.
- Any decisions on school or county office closures will be made MONDAY by noon.
Storm Forecast Update
Current Weather Situation
This afternoon: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Cloudy, with a high near 84. Northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tonight: Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 72. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Memorial Day/Monday: Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. High near 84. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Monday night: Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Low around 72. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
- At 4:00 PM CDT, the center of Subtropical Storm Alberto was located near latitude 28.0 North, longitude 85.2 West.
- The storm is moving toward the north-northwest near 12 mph. A north-northwest motion with some decrease in forward speed is expected tonight. A north-northwestward to northward motion is expected Monday through Wednesday.
- On the forecast track, the center of Alberto will move over the northern Gulf of Mexico tonight and approach the northern gulf coast in the warning area on Monday.;
- Heavy rainfall and tropical storm conditions will likely reach the northern gulf coast well before the arrival of the center of Alberto. Maximum sustained winds are near 50 mph (85 km/h) with higher gusts.
- Little change in strength is forecast before Alberto reaches the northern Gulf Coast. Steady weakening is expected after landfall, and Alberto is forecast to become a tropical depression Monday night or Tuesday.
- Winds of 40 mph extend outward up to 115 miles from the center. The estimated minimum central pressure is 994 mb.
Weather Advisories, Watches and Warnings
A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued for Santa Rosa County. A warning means tropical storm conditions (sustained winds of 39 to 73 mph) are expected in the area within 36 hours.
A Storm Surge Watch has been issued for coastal Santa Rosa County.
A Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Tuesday evening.
A High Surf Warning is in effect through Tuesday evening.
Rip Currents -
Double red flags are flying at Navarre Beach. The beach is closed to swimming and wading. A high risk of rip currents will last through the start of next week.
Rip currents are our number one danger and will remain after the storm is out of the area. Follow the beach flag warning system and obey lifeguard direction.
Blackwater River State Forest
Officials with the Florida Forest Service's Blackwater Forestry Center have closed all campgrounds and day use areas of Blackwater River State Forest. Florida Forest Service personnel will evaluate these areas after the storm passes and reopen them as weather allows.
Gulf Islands National Seashore
The Opal Beach complex/picnic area is closed. Park status updates will be posted online at www.nps.gov/GulfIslands and the national seashore operates a severe weather hotline at (850) 934-2656.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has closed down both campgrounds on Escribano Point until further notice.
Pensacola State College
At this time, all PSC campuses and centers will resume normal operations on Tuesday, May 29. If plans change, PSC students, faculty, and staff will be notified via PSC Alert, PSC website and PSC social media.
Memorial Day Ceremonies
- The Veterans Memorial Plaza's annual Memorial Day ceremony in Milton has been cancelled due to weather.
- In the south end of the county, the Memorial Day ceremony in Navarre Park has also been cancelled.
Be aware that with recent rains, the soil is moist and tall trees could topple in high winds. Please do NOT CALL 911 for power outages. For information on power outages, visit:
Central Landfill and Trash Pickup
- The county's Central Landfill will be closed on Monday. A determination on hours for Tuesday will be made at a later time.
- ECUA collections in the north end of Santa Rosa County have been cancelled for Monday, May 28. Updates will be posted to the www.ecua.fl.gov as necessary.
- In the south end of the county, Waste Pro collection services have been cancelled for Monday, May 28. If your garbage service day is Monday, it will be collected Thursday. In Navarre, recycling and yard waste collection will run one day behind. In Gulf Breeze, recycling will run one day behind and yard waste will not be affected. For questions, call 850-365-1900 on Tuesday.
The county's public works department has sand available at the following locations:
- Leisure Street in Holley by the Sea
- Tiger Point Park in Gulf Breeze
- Pace Fire-Rescue in Pace
- The corner of Pine Forest Road and Carroll Road in Milton
While the flood threat has been reduced, if you would still like sand, bring your own sandbags and shovel. Bags are less than 50 cents each at local hardware stores, including Hall's Hardware in Milton and Lowe's in Pace/Pea Ridge. For information on how to make and use sandbags, visit the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (
Roads and Bridges
Bridges are closed only when Florida Highway Patrol or local law enforcement confirm sustained winds of 39 mph or greater on location.
No roads or bridges are closed in advance. If one bridge closes, it does not necessarily mean all bridges are closed.
Santa Rosa County road closures are posted at
. State and interstate road and bridge closures (highways 87, 89, 90, 98, I-10, Avalon Blvd. and Garcon Point Bridge) are posted at
# # #