SSSG Alumni Miranda Mulholland is coming to perform in Guelph
On Saturday, January 27
2:30 door - 3:00 show
PWYC (pay what you can) at the door
Harrow Fair is Miranda Mulholland (Great Lake Swimmers, Belle Starr) and Andrew Penner (Sunparlour Players).
Originally from Guelph, Miranda is classically trained on violin and voice and is in high demand as a singer and fiddler covering a wide range of styles. She has sung and played fiddle with Jim Cuddy, Steven Page, Calexico, Joel Plaskett, Rose Cousins, Alan Doyle, Raine Maida, Dan Mangan, John Borra, The Rattlesnake Choir and Justin Rutledge, among others.
Their RBC Noon Hour concert in St George's Square was rained out last summer and I'm very excited to have them back!!
Here is a list of things consumers can do so artists get paid for their work:
There are a number of best practices that every streaming service gives to artists and labels. These are ways that they want artists to reach out to their fanbase that they have built and to plug into the system. Fair enough. Make it easier for your favourite artists.
Here are some FREE ways to help.
- Be a tastemaker. Create playlists for events, road trips, friend's birthday's. Add your favourite artists.
- Write reviews and rate. Getting reviews and ratings helps shift algorithms in favour of artists, helps their work come up as "things you might like" and can give your favourite artists an edge in the very competitive granting and funding races.
Here are some PRETTY CHEAP ways to help.
- If you think you're going to buy a record or you've been tempted by a great track in advance of its release, buy the record on release day. This can accelerate an album onto the front page of whatever service you use to buy music, which is an excellent advertisement.
- Buy merchandise. Show off your band love with a sweet t-shirt, poster, tickets. Go to live shows!
- If you love an album or a book, buy it and buy one to give to a friend.
- Subscribe to a music service. For the price of 1 album a month, you not only get millions of songs at your fingertips with no ads, but you also are making a difference. The revenue gap between ad based services and their subscriber versions is significant.