Monday, April 20, 2020
My Sisters and Brothers in Christ,
I received this e-mail from our Parishioner, Regina Aulisio, and I asked her if I could share this with the rest of our Parish.
She offers some simple but powerful ways in which, if we are in a position to do so, can help those around us:
I wanted to send a note about this tax money ($1,200 per person) that is arriving in banks this week or in checks soon.
Many of our Parishioners will receive these funds and not need them for day to day expenses because they have not been immediately, economically impacted by this crisis.
Retirement savings may be down but with time and patience they should recover and yet many people are in immediate need of help.
I would like to offer some suggestions on how Parishioners might want to use this money to benefit the community.
People could think about doing one or more of the following:
- Give a bonus to the person who cleans your house, does your hair or nails…they have probably lost a lot of income.
- Donate to Catholic Charities or a food bank…many more people are food insecure.
- When ordering groceries or “take out” be extra generous with your tip.
- Send a check to the owner of the small “Mom & Pop” place you like to go for a meal; help them weather the storm.
- Donate to St. Thomas More--I am sure the weekly income has suffered with Masses being cancelled.
- If you know someone who has been laid off or lost their job or closed their business, send them a check and a note of encouragement.
In general, pass it on! This tax payer funded program was designed to help those in most need; those people, businesses and organizations that will spend the money now to help them survive this crisis.
REGINA, THANK YOU FOR GOOD “FOOD FOR THOUGHT” AND FOR CARING!