URGENT CALL TO ACTION ON SB 1464
Requires sheriffs and police officers to enforce public health orders or prohibit state funds if any law enforcement agency publicly announces that they oppose a public health order and reallocates those funds to the county's county public health department.
First hearing on Wednesday, April 20
Senate Health Committee @ 1:00PM
Children's Health Defense California Chapter opposes this bill for the following reasons:
- Local law enforcement should not be required to enforce health orders.
- Law enforcement offices are already overwhelmed and understaffed.
- Requiring health interventions interferes with voluntary and informed consent and should not make use of police powers.
- The punitive consequence against an agency would unfairly impact residents within that county.
- Protecting law enforcement discretion is important when considering that local health officers can "take any action" to control the spread of a communicable disease.
CALL TO ACTION
Compell!! Everyone!! to Call, E-mail, Post to Social Media the names and contacts of the Health Committee Members
BEFORE Wednesday, April 20, 1 pm.