There has been an increase in theft in our area, specifically the theft of catalytic converters. This is not specific to Kent School District and occurs on Mercer Island, Bellevue, and a range of other nearby districts. We realize as a district, we do not have an effective means of policing, monitoring, and patrolling all campus parking areas. We are vigilant with monitoring cameras and activity, but due to the speed of these crimes (sometimes a minute or less), any response would be post theft in all likelihood.
We encourage staff and visitors to consider the purchase and installation of theft deterrents. There are many options available:
- Install an undercarriage shield or cage.
- Incorporate metal rods alongside your converter.
- Weld flange bolts to your vehicle.
- Install a tilt sensing vehicle alarm system.
- Painting and engraving/etching your vehicle's serial number.
The safety of our students, staff, and families is important, so if you see something, say something and continue to be aware of your surroundings at all times.