Chicago and Halsted Intersection
The Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) has scheduled emergency repairs of the Halsted Viaduct at Chicago Avenue this weekend. Detours will be in-place from Saturday, May 21 at 4pm to Monday, May 23 at 5am.
Please click here to review detour routes.
311 W Huron Project
At the beginning of June 2022, ARCO Murray will begin construction of a new building at 311 W. Huron Street. Work hours will be Monday-Friday, from 9am-5pm (8pm during caisson pours).
Throughout the project, the following City right-of-way will be occupied:
- Sidewalk/curb lane on the south side of Huron, from Franklin west to the end of 311 W Huron's property line - approximately 150'. The sidewalk will be used to store their concrete pump, dumpster, and hoist dock. Trucks will back into the site at this location too. Jersey barriers will be placed in the curb lane to create a protected pedestrian path.
- 3' of the sidewalk on the west side of Franklin, from Huron to the first alley south thereof. This leaves 6' of clearance. They will need to push the fence out a few feet during excavation.
- 150' of the east/west alley bounded by Huron, Franklin, Erie, and Orleans will be closed. The closure is from Franklin to a point 150' west thereof.
The project is expected to be completed in September 2023 (weather dependent).
Crane Lift: 320 E Superior
Northwestern University will be conduction crane lifts at 320 E Superior on the following dates:
- Friday, June 10 to Saturday, July 23
- Monday, August 22 to Tuesday, September 27
During the crane lifts, vehicular traffic on Superior, from Fairbanks to 340 East Superior will be prohibited. Additionally, the sidewalk on the north side of Superior, from Fairbanks to 340 East Superior will be closed.
Chicago Spring Half Marathon
Life Time Fitness is hosting the Chicago Spring Half Marathon scheduled for Sunday, May 22. This event benefits the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The following are the event details:
- Amplified sound from 8am-12pm - sound will be inside Maggie Daley Park and speakers will be facing away from residential buildings
- Maggie Daley Park is providing 20 security guards for the event
- Approximately 8,000 attendees (CPD has already given their approval)
- One vendor selling food/beer/wine in Maggie Daley Park
The race route is as follows:
- Races will start at Columbus/Monroe and head south to Roosevelt, east to the lakefront, south on the lakefront to 47th, north on the lakefront to Randolph, west on Randolph to Columbus, and south on Columbus back to Maggie Daley Park
CDOT Repaving Project:
Starting Thursday, May 19, CDOT will begin repaving Lower Carrol, from Wells Street to State Street. This project is expected to take 30 days to complete.
Adams Street Bridge
IDOT continues their work on the Adams Street Bridge over I90/94. On Sunday, May 1, IDOT began installed support beams for the Bridge during the overnight hours. This work will continue for 2 more weeks.
Randolph Street Viaduct Repair
Starting Monday, May 9, CDOT will be repairing the Randolph Street Viaduct, from Columbus to Field. Work hours will be Monday-Friday, from 8am-5pm.
Throughout the project, at least one lane of eastbound traffic will be open. Westbound lanes will not be disrupted.
The project is expedited to be completed mid-July (weather dependent).
Peoples Gas Main Installation Project: Bellevue, from Lake Shore Drive to Rush
Beginning at the end of May 2022, Peoples Gas will install a 900' gas main on the south side of Bellevue Place, from Inner Lake Shore Drive to Rush Street.
The main will be installed in sections of 150'. Once the gas main is installed, service lines will be connected from the new main to each building on the north side of the street.
This will require trenching from the south to north side of the street. All work is expected to be completed by late July (weather dependent). Curb-to-curb restoration will occur in August.
Peoples Gas Rush & Bellevue
On Monday, May 16, Peoples Gas will begin installing a new gas main at Rush and Bellevue. Parking will be prohibited on the north side of Bellevue, from Rush to the first alley east thereof during the work.
This project will last 3 weeks.
Ida B. Wells Repaving Project
Resurfacing of Ida B. Wells, from Congress Parkway to Columbus began on Monday, May 2. The work will include ADA sidewalk improvements, curb and gutter removal and replacement, milling and paving the existing asphalt pavement and striping.
All work is expected to be completed by May 31.
Wise Guys be filming a new series in Chicago. In order to establish baseline/beauty shots, they will be filming using a drone on Sunday, May 22 from 8:30am-5:30pm.
There will be intermittent traffic closures (one block at a time) on Dearborn, from Wacker to Jackson. Each block will be closed for a period of 5 minutes with a 10 minute break between closures.
They will have 6 Production Assistants on standby to move barricades in and out of the streets during the 5 minute incremental closures. In addition they will have two officers with squads, one at each end of the block.
Pedestrian traffic will flow as normal and businesses will remain open and unimpeded. The drone work is strictly in the street and never on the sidewalk.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Natasha Parker-Olguin (location manager) (773) 297-3906.
Millennium Park Music Festivals
The Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced the return of the following free summer music festivals in Millennium Park:
- Chicago Gospel Music Festival (June 4 from 3–9pm)
- Chicago Blues Festival (June 9 – 12
- Millennium Park Summer Music Series (June 20 – August 18)
- Chicago Jazz Festival (citywide and in Millennium Park including Jay Pritzker Pavilion): Thursday – Sunday, September 1–4
- Chicago House Music Festival and Conference (Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park): Friday, September 16 T
- World Music Festival Chicago (citywide): Friday, September 30 – Sunday, October 2
Crane Lift: 7 West Monroe Street
On Friday, June 3 and Saturday, June 4 from 8am-8pm there will be a crane lift at 7 West Monroe Street. Throughout the lift, Monroe, from State to Dearborn will be closed to vehicular traffic. The crane will remain on-site during the overnight hours.
There will be barricades, detour signs, and traffic control on-site throughout the lift.
Gas Main Replacement - Michigan, Chestnut to Cedar
Peoples Gas continues it's gas main replacement on Oak Street/Walton Street, between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. Work hours may vary throughout the project, but are currently anticipated to be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
All openings will be covered and secured during non-work hours. This portion of the gas main replacement is expected to be completed at the beginning of July.
Gas Main Replacement - Michigan, Monroe to Lake
On Monday, February 7, Peoples Gas began a gas main replacement on the west side of Michigan Avenue, from Monroe to Lake. Work hours will be 9am-4pm.
This project is expected to be completed in August 2022 (weather dependent).
214 West Erie Street Renovations
On Monday, December 13, Crane Construction began renovations of 214 West Erie Street. During construction, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk/curb lane in front of 214 West Erie Street. The curb lane will be used as a pedestrian walkway. Crane Construction will place jersey barriers and ramps in the curb lane to protect pedestrians and provide wheelchair access.
- Close 100' of the north/south alley adjacent to 214 W Erie Street. This is a T alley and residents of 222 W Erie will still be able to access their parking garage from the alley entrance on Franklin and Huron.
This project is expected to be completed summer of 2022 (weather dependent).
LG Construction: 751 N. Hudson and 451 W Chicago
LG Construction has recently broke ground at 751 N. Hudson Avenue and 451 W. Chicago Avenue, which are adjacent parcels. Work hours will be 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Throughout the project, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk/curb lane/traffic lane of the east side of Hudson, from Chicago to the first alley south thereof
- Sidewalk/curb lane/traffic lane on the west side of Sedgwick, from Chicago to the first alley south thereof
- Sidewalk/curb lane on the south side of Chicago, from Hudson to Sedgwick
There will be a protected pedestrian walkway in the curb lane on the south side of Chicago Avenue, from Hudson Avenue to Sedgwick Street.
This project is expected to take 18 months to complete (weather dependent).
354 North Union Construction
The Onni Group is constructing a 33 story residential building with 373 units. Work hours will be 8am-8pm, daily.
Parking will be prohibited on North Union, from West Kinzie to the cul-de-sac west thereof throughout the project. All construction equipment and vehicles will be staged on the Onni Group’s property. This project will take approximately two years to complete.
430 N. Michigan Lobby Renovation
Starting in mid-September, GNP Realty Partners will be renovating the lobby at 430 N. Michigan Avenue. Throughout the project, there will be a 40’ urban canopy on the sidewalk in front of the building. In order to place the canopy on the sidewalk, the planter bed and City Information Panel (CIP) at this location will be temporarily removed. Both the planter bed and CIP will be reinstalled upon completion of the project.
The project is expected to be completed in May 2022.
South Water Street Viaduct Replacement
In March 2021, the Chicago Department of Transportation began demolition of the South Water Street Viaduct, between Lower Beaubien Court and Stetson Street. Work hours are 8am-8pm, daily.
As of May 10, vehicular and pedestrian access will be prohibited on the Upper and Lower levels of South Water Street, between Lower Beaubien Court and North Stetson Street. There will be barricades and detour signs in-place throughout the duration of the project.
This project is expected to be completed in July 2022 (weather dependent).
Overnight Parking Ban Downtown
Until further notice, overnight parking will be restricted on the following streets during the weekend:
- Both sides of Oak, between Michigan and Clark
- South side of Oak, between LaSalle and Wells
- Both sides of Chicago, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Ohio, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Hubbard, between Michigan and Wells
- North side of Illinois, between Dearborn and Clark
- Both sides of Illinois, between Wabash and Dearborn
- Both sides of Rush, between Grand and Ohio
- Both sides of Rush, between Erie and Oak
- Both sides of Wabash, between the Chicago River and Grand
- Both sides of State, between Kinzie and Oak
- Both sides of Erie, from Rush to Wells
- Both sides of Huron from Rush to Dearborn
- Both sides of New Street, from Illinois to North Water
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Monroe to Balbo
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Wabash to Michigan
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Franklin to Columbus
- Both sides of Wacker Drive, from State to Wabash
- Both sides of Stetson, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Beaubien Court, from Randolph to Lake
- Both sides of Randolph, from Harbor to Michigan
- Both sides of Ohio, from Michigan to Fairbanks
- West side of Larrabee, from Erie to Huron
As always, please make sure to read all posted signage before parking your vehicle downtown.