The demand for Cleaned fresh & frozen Squid continues to rise due to increased summertime seafood consumption and lifted dining regulations. However, this year, the demand is far outpacing supply due to a mix of reasons.
1. Tariffs implemented by the U.S. on China (one of the world’s largest Cleaned Squid producers) in 2019 reduced Squid imports by over 33 million pounds that year.
2. In addition to global production issues, the pandemic contributed to the drastic reduction of Chinese imports. And now, logistics issues worldwide are causing a lack of supply, including a lack of containers used to transport product, limited freezer space, and labor shortages.
3.) The decrease in imported Cleaned Squid is creating pressure on the local Cleaned Squid market.
Samuels works so closely with the best suppliers locally and overseas. We are bringing in everything available. In addition, we are bringing in the highest quality alternatives when necessary. We hope that the backlogs and logistic issues worldwide will begin to clear up within the next couple of months. For now, stay in touch with your Sales Agent as they are focused on keeping you supplied with one of our favorite apps, Calamari!
If you love Cephalopods and the amazing flavor they bring, check out our July Specials on Octopus:
· Mediterranean Octopus, frozen at sea. 1 ¼ -1 ½ lbs, perfect for grilling for $5.45/lb
· Fresh Baby Rock Octopus from Spain for $7.95/lb
· Fremantle Octopus Hands from Australia. 100% yield, tenderized by a unique freezing process for $16.95/lb