SCOOTERS RETURN TO CLEVELAND THIS WEEKEND
IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS
As a scooter or bike rider, key things to remember include
· Ride in the street. Scooter and bike riders should ride in the street with the flow of traffic, following traffic rules and using bike lanes where possible.
· Be visible. Never assume a driver sees you. Ride at least three feet from the curb so you are in the line of sight of other road users.
· Be predictable. Follow all traffic laws, including stopping when the traffic light is red. Avoid weaving and riding erratically.
· Park responsibly. Don't block the sidewalk, bus stops, doorways, fire hydrants, or driveways.
· Don't get stranded. Under the new expanded operating hours, scooters will deactivate between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Keep this in mind when planning your rides.
· Ride smart. Don't carry objects that keep you from controlling the scooter or bike. Don't be distracted or ride with headphones. Don't drink and ride. Don't ride more than one person per device.
· Wear a helmet. Permitted vendors are required to give you a free helmet upon request.
Motor vehicle drivers should keep the following in mind:
· Share the road. People riding scooters and bikes are allowed on the road.
· Don't drive distracted. Be alert and watch out for slower moving road users like people on scooters and bikes.
· Pass safely. Ohio law requires motorists passing scooters and bikes to leave at least three feet between the motor vehicle and the rider. Where possible, change lanes to pass.
· Look before you leave. When you park on the street, check your blind spot to make sure you will not hit a scooter or bike rider when you open your door.
· Be patient. Everyone on the road wants to get where they are going quickly and safely.