In 2021 Hope Beyond the Bars began offering a Bible study program for inmates in the Virginia Department of Corrections. Each participant will receive a study book to read on their own and answer study questions. Each week, they will email their answers to the program leader who will compile the answers to share with the group. This will give everyone a chance to see others perspective and insight as we learn and grow in our faith together.
If you would like to sponsor an inmate, you can choose to donate $100 for Bible study materials or donate $500 to cover all ministry expenses for one year. Detailed expenses are spelled out below.
Bible study books & Jpay email stamps for weekly participation are approximately $25 per quarter or $100 per year.
(Jpay is the monitored email system used by the Virginia Department of Corrections)
Additional Program costs per participant are approximately $400 per year and include:
- Donation to commissary as incentive for continued participation $35 per quarter + $6.95 fee = 167.80 per year
- Jpay stamps for 3 emails per week with director w/ return stamps $1.50 per week @52 weeks = $78.00 per year
- 2 cards/letters per month $3.00 per month = $36.00 per year
- Commissary donation for birthday gift $25 + $6.95 fee = $31.95
- Commissary donation for Christmas gift $25 + $6.95 fee = $31.95
- Advent, Lent, and daily devotional materials $50 per year
- Bible Promises for You book sent upon registration in the program $8
Checks may be made payable to Hope Beyond the Bars or Scottsville UMC and mailed to PO Box 280 | Scottsville, VA 24590 - Please list Bible Sponsorship in the memo line.
Credit/debit card payments made on-line with the link below.