H.E.R.O. was excited to help our kids start the new school year equipped to perform optimally, once again. To celebrate the beginning of the 2019-2020 academic year, H.E.R.O. for Children, Inc. hosted its eighth (8th) annual Back-to-School Bash event at Pickneyville Park's Danny Cochran Pavilion in Norcross, GA on Saturday, August 3rd, 2019. H.E.R.O. children and their families were invited to come out and enjoy fun, games, and food. The afternoon began with free time where DJ Ron West cranked up the music. During free time, the kids received makeup consultations from Walgreens representatives, had their faces painted, enjoyed the playground or sat and chatted with each other while playing a variety of games (such as Jenga, Uno, Connect Four and cards). A double-dutch group presented a 15-minute demonstration on jumping double-dutch. Afterwards, the kids had the opportunity to learn to jump and/or turn rope themselves.

During our lunch break, the kids enjoyed a delicious meal catered from the local Shane's Rib Shack. As a special surprise, H.E.R.O. engaged an ice cream truck to provide some much needed cold treats for the kids. Next, H.E.R.O. staff facilitated a relay song association challenge. In this game, nine players were divided into a "Team A", "Team B", and "Team C". Each team went head-to-head racing to be the first to sing a song that consisted of a previously-selected word. The winning team received movie passes as prizes. Then, H.E.R.O. staff drew tickets for raffle prizes for the children and their family members, which included bath & body products, art supplies, movie passes, a backpack full of school supplies, various gift cards and a tablet. The day concluded with staff distributing backpacks full of school supplies to each child, along with $25 gift cards to various clothing stores, including Ross, DD's Discounts, Forever 21, Marshalls, and TJMaxx.
H.E.R.O. would like to extend a special thanks to the following donors and volunteers for their support of our Back-to-School Bash 2019:

Financial donations:
  • The Peachtree Pilot Club
  • Katharine Banning
  • Lorraine Banning
  • Arletta Brinson
  • Antoinette Earley
  • Susan Fletcher
In-kind donations:
  • Ross Stores
  • Walgreens Pharmacy
  • Celia Parks
  • Louise Shimer
  • Walgreens employees
  • Dale Branham
We would also like to thank our vendors (Cori Templin- Face Painter and DJ Ron West of Reach Productions), who were integral to creating a festive environment that afternoon. We are pleased to have been able to serve 51 children via our 2019 Back-to-School Bash, helping to prepare them for a successful academic year! 
H.E.R.O.'s Transition to Adulthood program facilitated a tour of the School of Audio Engineering (SAE) Institute in Atlanta on Saturday, August 10th, 2019. The SAE Institute is a private college that offers Audio and Creative Media programs including Audio Engineering, Digital Sound and Design, Game Engineering, and Theater Sound Production. The tour began with a welcome from one of SAE's admissions representatives, followed by a guided walk through the school. During the tour, the admissions representative explained the different programs available, and the various audio and engineering equipment housed in the facility. For our kids, this was their first time visiting SAE and they were excited to learn about the various media outlets. One of the most exciting parts of the visit was exploring SAE's movie theater. HERO children learned about the theatre structure and materials, including padding, speakers, and screen size. Next, they visited the audio department, where they received a demonstration of sound mixing and balancing. They also learned that wearing headsets for long periods of time can negatively impact a student's ability to successfully perform these key tasks, as doing so both skews one's ability to listen effectively and causes hearing damage over time. The children were then briefed on how various microphones are used to match the different tones of voices. At the end of the tour, two of our children completed applications for enrollment in the SAE Institute! We will gladly support them in this process.  
H.E.R.O. was excited to reward students who received straight A's on their final report card for the 2018-2019 school year. These students had the opportunity to shop for school outfits at clothing stores of their choice, and then had lunch with H.E.R.O. staff at a restaurant they selected.

H.E.R.O. was so pleased to receive the following thank you card from one of our students:
Love Cycling? H.E.R.O. for Children, Inc. is looking for an individual to sign-up as our team captain and form a team on behalf of Camp High Five for Camp Twin Lakes' Spin for Kids. This event will take place on  Sunday, October 20th, 2019 .
What is Spin For Kids?
Taking place at Camp Twin Lakes (CTL)-Rutledge, Spin For Kids is a fully supported road bike ride that winds through the rolling hills of beautiful Morgan County, Georgia. Spin For Kids offers multiple routes for riders of all skill levels. Participants can choose from six scenic road routes: 5, 15, 27, 47, 62 or 100 miles. Each route is supported from start to finish with fully-stocked rest stops, first aid, route marshals, and bike technicians. Riders with young children can register their children to participate in free day camp while their parents are out riding. As riders return to CTL, they are invited to join in camp festivities including delicious food, beer, live entertainment and a chance to explore Camp. All adult riders pay a small registration fee ($5-$45) and commit to raising at least $200. Children under 18 who would like to ride are not required to fundraise and pay just $5-$15 to register.
How can Spin For Kids help H.E.R.O.?
Spin For Kids provides a unique opportunity for Camp Partners to raise money to offset our 2020 camp costs. 80% of the money raised by our team goes directly back to our camp program, and the other 20% helps CTL support you! Last year, Camp Partners raised over $48,000!
To sign-on as our team captain, please email our Match and Development Coordinator at or call (470) 321-3102 EXT. 248.

The Super HEROes Mentoring Program  is a community-based, one-on-one mentoring program serving children infected with and affected by HIV/AIDS. The program provides these children with the opportunity to have a positive role model through a mentor and to strengthen their life skills, self-esteem, communication skills, goal-setting and academic performance.

Why HERO children need mentors? 

Approximately 33% of HERO children are HIV positive and the other 67% are affected (i.e. someone who has an infected parent, sibling, residential relative, or has lost a relative to HIV/AIDS-related complications). Twenty-five percent (25%) of HERO children have lost a parent as a result of HIV/AIDS-related complications, and almost 90% of HERO children come from low-income families (household incomes are $20,000/year or less).

Many of our children struggle with day-to-day challenges including low self-esteem, social difficulties, academic underachievement, self-destructive behavior, etc. You can help change this!

Responsibilities of a Super HERO Mentor:
  • Spend one-on-one quality time with a child at least twice a month, a minimum of two hours each time.
  • Participate with the child in a bi-monthly group activity organized and sponsored by H.E.R.O. for Children.
  • Be a positive role model for the child.
  • Contribute to strengthening the child's self-esteem, social adjustment and life skills.
Eligibility Requirements:
  • Be at least 22 years of age.
  • Be willing and available to comply with H.E.R.O. for Children's policies and procedures.*
  • Have dependable automobile transportation, maintain a valid driver's license, verifiable automobile insurance and abide by Georgia vehicle codes (i.e. seat belts, speed limits, etc.).
  • Have a suitable home environment.
  • Pass background checks, including motor vehicle record, sex offender registry, national criminal background screening and social security verification, prior to serving.
*  Training and continuing education provided.

Sunday, September 22nd, 2019 | 1:20 PM | Atlanta, GA

Friday, October 25th, 2019 - Sunday, October 27th, 2019 | Winder, GA

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.