As I write this the leaves are falling rapidly and we have seen the first snow of the season. As many of you know I will be retiring at the end of this term so this will be my last newsletter as your Mayor. It’s been an honor to serve these past 12 years and I will move into retirement with many positive memories. As we approach the end of the current term of council I thought it appropriate to share some of the highlights of what we have accomplished together over the past four years.
• Limited the overall average residential tax bill increase to 0.33% per year average over the 4 year term while absorbing the phase in of a $656,700 increase in annual OPP policing costs over the same period
• Completion of a Comprehensive Policing Analysis to determine best fit for Seguin under the new OPP costing formula
• In house project management to deliver quality road upgrades at reduced cost
• Reserve levels maintained at a healthy level and within target guidelines
• Seguin’s provincial Financial Indicator Report Card continues to earn an ‘A’ rating
• Township remains debt free
• Automation and efficiency improvements in the Septic Re-inspection Program to enable more frequent inspections
• Expansion of Seguin Lake Water Quality Program to include more lakes and additional quality indicator testing
• Introduction of Waterfront Design Guidelines as an extension of Living Sustainably in Seguin for enhanced lake water quality protection
• Township wide expansion of the “Stewardship Seguin” program
• Additional employment opportunities resulting from natural gas extension along Oastler Park Drive iinncluding Crofters warehouse addition
• Addition of Milford Bay Trout Farms processing operation to Airport Business Park
• Launch of Airport Infrastructure Enhancement Project
• Initial sales of Phase 1 of the North Sandy Plains housing development
Efficiency and Effectiveness
• Continuation of major arterial road upgrades including South Seguin Estates, Rose Point, Otter Lake and Salmon Lake Roads with high value for monies invested
• Waste system efficiency improvements resulting in operating cost reductions while providing increased system capacity
• Long term contract with a local landfill for household waste disposal for increased efficiency, cost reduction and service level improvements
• Introduction of a Key Performance Indicator (KPI) tracking system to focus our staff organization on key operational parameters
• Enhanced staff commitment to service excellence with an Employee Engagement Initiative and expanded customer satisfaction survey utilization
• Completion of handicap access for all Township Community Centres and Libraries.
All these accomplishments are the result of the contributions of many. Thanks especially to staff for their dedication and commitment and the great job they do every day. I also extend my sincere thanks to Council and the many Seguin volunteers and committees who help make Seguin a better place to live and work. I also wish to say a big thank you to you the ratepayers for your support and encouragement over the years. Most importantly, I thank my wife Susan for her assistance and input throughout. Your collective help and support made the task much easier and I am grateful for that.
Seguin is our home and I look forward to having more time to enjoy it. There will always be work to be done and the new council will bring fresh ideas to the council table. I take my leave confident that the Township will continue to prosper in the future under the new leadership.
Best wishes to all,