MARCH 2020
The latest news and updates
Florida Bar Pro Bono Service
Awards Ceremony
At the end of January, our Pro Bono Coordinator Carolina and Intake Assistant Tori were in attendance at the Florida Bar Pro Bono Award Ceremony at the Florida Supreme Court. Congratulations again to the Honorable Lisa Davidson and Attorney Andrew Chmelir for their achievements! Featured are p hotos of the event and Award Recipients.
Left: The Honorable Lisa Davidson giving her remarks following the acceptance of the Distinguished Judicial Service Pro Bono Service Award.

Right: The Honorable Lisa Davidson accepting the Distinguished Judicial Service Pro Bono Award from Chief Justice Charles T. Canady.
Left: Attorney Andrew Chmelir accepting the Presidents Pro Bono Service Award for the 18th Judicial Circuit from Florida Bar President John Stewart.
Right: Attorney Andrew Chmelir featured with recipients of the Florida Bar Presidents Pro Bono Service Award from other judicial circuits and Florida Supreme Court Justices.
How to Transfer Title to an Automobile
of a Deceased Family Member
Written by Marla Schaffer
If the title includes the name of both spouses, the surviving spouse may choose to request a free title replacement removing the name of the deceased spouse. To obtain a replacement title, complete form Application for Surviving Spouse Transfer of Florida Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle (HSMV form 82152) and submit to a motor vehicle service center ( ) along with a certified copy of the death certificate and proof of identity (driver license/ID card/valid passport). A marriage certificate will also be required if the name of the surviving spouse is not shown on the death certificate. There is an expedited title fee of $10.00 to receive the title the same day.

If the title does not include the name of both spouses, the surviving spouse can bring the original Certificate of Title, certified copy of the death certificate, proof of identity (driver license/ID card/valid passport), proof of insurance and current mileage to their local motor vehicle service center ( ) and request a new title in the name of the surviving spouse.

If non-spouse family members want to transfer title from a deceased owner into their names, they need to bring a certified copy of the decedent's will (which specifically devises any automobiles or tangibles to them), a certified copy of the death certificate, proof of identity (driver license/ID card/valid passport), proof of insurance and current mileage to their local motor vehicle service center ( ) and request a new title.

Please note: Replacement title fees are exempt for surviving spouses; however, registration fees resulting from the title change will apply to all transfers. Depending on particular circumstances, additional forms may be required. For additional information, contact your local motor vehicle service center.
Supporting Veterans in STEM Careers Act
Written by Carolina Hernandez
Beginning February 11 th , a new law (the Supporting Veterans in STEM Careers Act) took effect that will assist veterans in attaining more positions in the STEM field. More specifically, this law will create more eligibility for veterans through the Nation Science Foundation (NSF) through scholarships, grants, and fellowship programs geared towards veterans. The NSF is an agency that specializes in research involving the STEM field. Studies have shown that Veterans have faced hardship in terms of gaining access to STEM related research facilities and to ensure that there is transparency and accountability in the hiring process, this law also requires a veteran participation report to be sent over to Congress. This bill has received bipartisan support since its introduction, was passed unanimously in the House and Senate, and was signed by President Trump in early February. This new law will be a large successful stride in the direction of gaining more veteran participation in the STEM field.

Full Article:
Florida Bar Foundation Article Feature
Recently we were highlighted by the Florida Bar Foundation concerning our work with victims of domestic violence. The article focused on our joint efforts with Brevard Legal Aid to secure funding to continue our services to those inflicted by domestic violence. Our staff attorney Sue Selsky worked tirelessly to assist the client highlighted and was able to finalize her divorce in December of 2019. Our client has been cited saying, "If I would have known [about legal aid], I probably would have had the courage to get out a long time ago."
This article is only one example of the work we do, as we provide free legal services to low income Seminole County residents. Please be sure to read the article by clicking here or clink the link below for more details on this case and the work we do to assist our community and victims of domestic violence.

Full Article:
IDignity of Seminole
Written by Carolina Hernandez
Have you had difficulty obtaining your birth certificate, Social Security Card, or Drivers License/ID? Has this hindered your ability to apply for work, a lease, etc.? As it becomes increasingly important to have identification, IDignity of Seminole County hosts events to aid in obtaining Birth Certificates, Social Security cards, and other documentation needed to obtain a Florida ID or license. They work to replace lost or stolen IDs free of charge. Their next event will be held Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 from 9 am- 12 pm (they recommend arriving at 7 AM) at the Salvation Army at 700 West 24 th Street, Sanford Florida 32771.

When attending be sure to bring proofs of identity, social security number, and residency. The following can be used as proofs:
(1) Proof of Identity (need one of the following)
  • An original certified birth certificate from Vital Statistics with raised seal.
  • A valid U.S. passport, permanent resident card or immigration documents.
  • All name changes will require a marriage, divorce or other legal certificate.
(2) Proof of your Social Security Number (need one of the following)
  • SS Card
  • Medicare Card
  • Tax form (W-2 or 1099) or
  • payment stub.
(3) Proof of Residency (need two from the following)
  • Mail/ lease/ bill within the last three months with your name and address on it
  • Letter from a shelter/ housing program claiming you as a resident.
  • Certification of Address Form from person allowing you to live with them, along with his/her 2 proofs of address (mail/lease/bill within the last three months)

For more Information contact IDignity of Seminole at 407-869-0491 ext 0 or email .
Volunteer Intern of the Month
Cheyenne Dunn
We appreciate our volunteers so much and have decided to showcase a volunteer each month to highlight all of the wonderful help we receive from them.

Ms. Dunn is currently a 2L at Barry University Dwayne O' Andreas School of Law and received her Bachelors Degree from University of Central Florida in Legal Studies with a Minor in Criminal Justice and a Certificate in Victim Advocacy. Ms. Dunn hopes to continue her work in family law, assisting victims of domestic violence.

When asked what she enjoyed most about volunteering here, she responded, " I have always loved speaking with others and hearing their stories. Except, when it comes to obtaining legal services, it changes from simply hearing a story to hearing about someone’s life. The troubles that our client’s go through, while some may be incredibly difficult to hear, is their every day reality, and by assisting with their intake, I get to be the voice of that client. To me, that is a privilege and an honor to be able to assist someone in what could possibly be a significant turning point in their story for the better.

I have learned that humans are resilient and that no matter how hard life can get, we persevere. We get up every day and move through to the next one because that next day could be the day you have been waiting for. No matter what happens, you have to try and get to the next day because you never know what could be waiting for you when you get there. "
We value our volunteer and thank Cheyenne for her work in our office!
How Do I Restore My Right to Vote?
Written by Victoria Thacker
This year commemorates the 100 th anniversary of Women gaining the right to vote, so keeping with the theme we will be highlighting an article each month concerning voting. This month, we are focusing on the steps it takes to restore your right to vote. To restore your right to vote visit and download the application and instructions for Restoration of Civil Rights, which can be found near the bottom of the web page. You can also receive a copy of the application by calling the Office of Executive Clemency at (850) 488-2952. You may only apply to restore your civil right to vote 5 to 7 years after the completion of your sentence. You will not be eligible to apply if you owe restitution, have pending criminal chargers, or outstanding detainers or warrants.

If you are attempting to restore your right to vote, it may be helpful to submit letters of reference regarding your character. This is optional but can be beneficial to your application. Your application must list each conviction and include court documents for each. You do not need to fill out a separate application for each conviction. Please note to fill out the application you will need your prison or probation number. Mail your application to the Office of Executive Clemency. The mailing address can be found on the first page of the application. Be sure to keep copies of the application, letters, and court documents once you mail your application.

If needed, you may contact the Office of Executive Clemency at (850) 488-2952 to make sure they have received all necessary information. If you are granted a Restoration of Civil Rights, a certificate for Restoration of Civil Rights will be mailed to you.
Get Involved!
We ask you to please join us in our efforts to maintain the wonderful quality of life we enjoy in Seminole County by donating your time and talents to help an indigent person(s) with their legal needs or by providing an in lieu of service monetary donation to help support our legal program.

To register to volunteer please view our preference form here or to donate funds, click here .
New Administrative Orders

In Re: Clerk of Court – Confidentiality of Court Records
Changes: Paragraphs 2, 6 and Attachment A, Section G, Sub-section #1 .

In Re: Judges- Administrative Judges

In Re: Judges - Caseload Assignment - Reassignment of Cases Assigned to Judge Melanie Chase
Upcoming Events
 1:00 to 4:00 PM at the Seminole County Public Library, 215 N Oxford Rd. Casselberry, FL 32707
 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Goodwill Job Connection Center, 4516 West State Rd. 46 Sanford, FL 32771
 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the Sanford Civic Center, 401 East Seminole Blvd, Sanford FL 32771
 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the Lake Mary Events Center, 260 N. Country Club Rd., Lake Mary FL 32746
9 AM-12 PM at the Salvation Army at 700 West 24th Street, Sanford FL 32771