Throughout the year we take pride in highlighting our successful alumni. On Valentine's Day, for example,
Phil Cabrera '67 will be presented with this year's National Catholic Education Association Distinguished Graduate Award.
Also, click here to check out our posts on the Alumni Facebook page to learn more about our graduates.
And, as high school seniors begin finalizing their college plans, we continue our annual Senior Spotlight series to get a glimpse at how our alums have fared in their secondary school experience since earning their diploma from Saints Peter and Paul School.
Today we feature Duncan Fox's of Neuqua Valley High School.
- NVHS Varsity Swim Team - 4 years
- Drama Club - President, Junior and Senior year
- Honors Varsity Chamber Choir - President, Senior year
- Finance Club
- NVHS Coding Club - Founder and Board Member
- PE Leaders - Junior and Senior year
- Mawi Institute - Learner, Leader, and Teacher
- Principal's Advisory Committee
- Student Council
- Wildscats Jazz Ensemble
- Theatre Program
- Freshman One Acts - Writer/Director
- Improv Shows - 2 years
- Spring Musicals - 4 years
- Children's Shows - 1 year
Awards or Accomplishments:
- NVHS Honor Roll - Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year
- Illinois State Scholar
- AP Scholar
- National Merit Commended Scholar
- Student Council Rep of the Year (2016/2017)
- Neuqua Student Pride Award (2016/2017)
- Neuqua Student Honors (Civics & Service: 2015/2016; Leadership: 2017/2018)
- DVC Athletic Conference All-Academic Award (2017, 2018, 2019)
- ILMEA (Illinois Music Educators Association) District Festival - Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year
- Naperville Park District Volunteer (2014-Present)
- Vacation Bible School at SSPP (2012-Present)
- Parish Volunteer at SSPP (2010-Present)
- I have applied to, and have been accepted by, Miami University, Indiana University, Fordham University, and Georgia Tech. I have also applied to the University of Southern California, University of Notre Dame, Northwestern, Michigan, Villanova, and Boston College and am keeping my options open until I hear from them.
- Become an executive at an entertainment company (like Disney or Universal).
How my Catholic faith resonated with me today as a teenager:
- High School, as well as life in general, is a very stressful time. My Catholic faith brings me comfort, as I know I can always turn to God in such times, especially in the Eucharist. I especially find taking time in prayer and attending weekly Mass and focusing on God, instead of myself, can help with the stresses I have encountered.
What I learned at SSPP that has helped me in high school?
- SSPP taught me how to organize and maintain good study skills while keeping a handle on extracurricular activities and my personal health.
Teacher at SSPP who had the most influence on me:
- Ms. Mahoney had the most influence on me. She really cared about me as a person and challenged me to continually do my best. Plus, the skills she taught me through the Socratic Seminars, the Literary Debate, and through the books we analyzed in the Lit Plus program really helped me take leadership roles at Neuqua.
Best Peter and Paul experience that I cherish:
- I loved doing the school plays in junior high! And I will never forget the extra three hours at Timber-lee when our bus broke down, and we were able to hang out together as a group.
Advice for current students:
- Enjoy Peter & Paul while you are there -- it goes by quickly, but the memories and friends will last you a long time.
Volume 6, No. 18
QUEEN OF HEARTS FUNDRAISER DEBUTS ON VALENTINE'S DAY
A reminder to sign up to volunteer to sell tickets at Quigley's and to encourage your friends to support our newest fundraiser.
ANNUAL FUND DRIVE
Have you made your donation yet? The goal from school parents this year is $55,000.
DISTINGUISHED GRADUATE RECIPIENT
Phil Cabrera '67 will be recognized as this year's Distinguished Graduate recipient at the 8:00 am all-school Mass on Thursday, February 14.
Our annual 80's Night featuring our 8 A-1 Boys, 8 A-2 Boys, and 8th grade girls basketball teams will all battle
St. Petronille this Friday
beginning at 5:30.
This fun night, taking place this Friday, February 1, is also a fundraiser with proceeds going to
Special Olympics Illinois.
Our 26th annual school auction, scheduled for Saturday, March 16, is taking us back to our roots and will be held in our gym just as it was back on January 29, 1994 when this fundraiser debuted.
SAVE THE DATE I
This year's dinner dance will be held at Cress Creek on
SAVE THE DATE II
If you're depressed by the weather, think GOLF.
The 31st annual SSPP Gold Outing will take place at Cress Creek on
Thursday, September 12.