2015 48-Hour Film Slam
7:30 PM @ Bradford Academy
Fall Foliage Bike Ride
9:30 AM @ Kettle Pond
Paddle the Border
10:00 AM @ Newbury Boat Launch
For more info or details about upcoming events, please visit our WEB site at www.cohase.org
Starting with next month's newsletter, you will see two sections in each newsletter.
This section will focus on a new business each month. Businesses will respond to five questions to help us all learn more about our member businesses.
Ask the Chamber
This section will feature one or more questions asked by our membership. If you would like to submit a question on any topic, please send your questions to
. If you wish to remain anonymous, please indicate that in your email and we will not publish your name or the name of your business. We look forward to answering your questions!
Thank you for your membership! Your membership is vital to the success of our organization and to helping make our communities a better place for businesses, residents and visitors. Please let us know your ideas for events, marketing efforts, educational programs, networking opportunities or any other thoughts about how to make the Chamber even more valuable to you and your business.
A Word From Your New Executive Director
Thank you all so much for this amazing opportunity! I am so very pleased to join this outstanding organization as the new Executive Director and look forward to an exciting 2016 for the Chamber, its member businesses and our respective communities. Although I have not yet had a chance to meet all members, one of my first initiatives is to visit all possible member businesses in the coming weeks and months. If you have not had a visit from me yet, I will be on your doorstep soon! Whether I speak to you in person or not, please feel free to contact me at
or by phone at (802) 518-0030 to discuss any ideas you have about how the Chamber can help your business and your community to thrive.
I currently operate EAV Consulting, a Technology Training & Development consulting firm and have over 25 years of business, technology and education experience in a wide assortment of industries including Manufacturing, Sales, Business Services, Non-Profit, Health Care and Financial Services. I am a strong believer in community and am an avid volunteer, including currently serving as a Trustee on the Groton Free Public Library Board and as an active member of the Groton Historical Society. I am a graduate of Rhode Island College where I hold a BA in Business & Management Communications as well as a graduate of the University of Massachusetts/Boston where I hold a Master of Education degree, with an emphasis in Adult Education and Instructional Design.
Like many of you, I love this area of Vermont and value our strong villages and communities, natural beauty and our diverse and committed businesses. I firmly believe that strong businesses are essential for a strong community. You and your fellow business owners. employees and community members are some of the most committed, kind, passionate and knowledgeable people I have encountered and I am excited to work with all of you.
6th Annual 48-Hour Film Slam
It's that time of year again! The Chamber is proud to sponsor the Sixth Annual 48-Hour Film Slam. This event has been a phenomenal success every year and this year looks to be another exciting time for all involved!
Each team that enters has exactly 48 hours to write, act, score, produce, edit and turn in a finished 7-8 minute film. Teams draw names out of a hat that assign the genre in which the team will work. The genre might be a drama, comedy, silent film, romance, foreign film, or one of several other "surprise" genres that get introduced each year.
Each team also has the same assigned line, a specific prop, and a location that they have to include in their film.
The evening starts with a free dinner
evening for all participants, followed by a brief kick-off meeting. Then, the filmmakers are off to start hatching their ideas and translating them into a coherent finished product that must be turned in
evening at Bradford Academy. Starting at
, the films are all shown and judged by 2-3 judges who work in the film-making business, as well as the audience, who selects the $100 People's Choice winner. The overall best film wins a cash prize of $500, the 1st runner-up gets $250, 2nd runner up receives $100, and various certificates of recognition go out for categories such as "Best Use of Prop", Best Actor/Actress", etc. So far 5-6 teams have committed to this year's Film Slam with the possibility that 1-2 more could join in the fun at the last minute. All the teams must finish their films according to the rules and within the 48 hour time limit. Lack of sleep is no excuse! In past years, at least one team completed editing their film in the car on the way to the event! Doors open at the Bradford Academy on Main St. in Bradford VT at
, and admission is by donation.
Thanks so much to the event's sponsors: Woodsville Guaranty Savings Bank; Valley Floors; Odell Insurance Agency, Inc.; Wells River Savings Bank and Wells River Chevrolet.
Sure to be an exciting time! Please join us for the public screening!
Sunday, September 20
172 Main Street, Bradford VT
Donations accepted at the door
Vermont Members - Don't Forget Dental/Vision Benefits
Through our affiliation with the Vermont Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives (VACCE) we are able to offer discounted dental and vision insurance through Northeast Delta Dental and Vision Insurance through Companion Life. Employer contributions are not required for your employees to participate in the program. The enrollment period will begin in December. For more info, please email us at the chamber at
Why Should Businesses Join Our Chamber?
The most common question we receive from potential members is why should I join? Potential members are often interested in what benefits they will receive and how our organization differs from other national or regional business associations.
Below are some of the key benefits you receive for being a member. Please keep in mind that we are always exploring new benefit opportunities and welcome your suggestions:
- Supporting the local community - Through our event sponsorships, partnershps with other area organizations and our various committees' involvement in key community areas such as economic development, and workforce development, we make a substantial local impact on the growth, economic vitality and quality of the communities within our region.
- On-Line Business Directory and other Publications - Your business will be listed in our on-line business directory which provides visitors, residents, and other businesses quick and easy access to your business contact information, details and WEB site and also in any regional marketing publications we may produce.
- Networking Opportunities - Attend chamber-sponsored events like Regional Economic Summits, "Shop Local" Initiatives, Joint Merchant Breakfasts, Regional forums on topics of interest and our Annual Dinner.
- Timely Email Notification - You will receive notifications about critical business news affecting our region as well as other key information relevant to you, your business and your community
- Tourist and Marketing Events - Our Chamber sponsors many popular events of interest to tourists as well as local and regional residents. Popular events have included Paddle the Border, 48 Hour Film Slam, Annual Garden Tour, Annual Farm Tour, Artisans' Studio Tour and Antique Markets.
- Constant Contact Email Marketing Discount - Save 20-25% in your Constant Contact subscription.
- Dental/Vision Insurance - Discounted dental and vision insurance policies are available for Vermont businesses through our partnership with VACE Plus.