In this edition:
- 2019 Fall Event Schedule Update
- Board of Directors Nominations Update
- Now Hear This: Scuttlebutt
- Call for Membership: join and renewal, Membership Roster Update.
2019 Annual Meeting, Reunion and Elections
Set for 2 November 2019
UNC v. Virginia, UNC Military Appreciation Day
Pat Connelly '85, Events Chair
The UNC NROTC Alumni Association is proud to announce that our 2019 Annual Meeting and Fall Reunion is scheduled for 31 October through 2 November
- Thursday, 31 October 2019, 1400-1630: Fall Alumni Panel with the Midshipman Battalion, at the Armory. There is no fee for this event but advanced registration required, please use GAA link below.
- Friday, 1 November 2019, 1800-2100, The President's Reception at the home of Eric and Kim Schneider '86 & "89, 144 Heartland Drive, Pittsboro, NC There is no fee for this event but advanced registration is required, please use GAA link below. The menu includes:
- Beef tenderloin sandwiches
- Pimento cheese/vegetable platter
- Carolina Caviar (vegetable based dip)
- Macaroni & cheese fritters
- Assorted desserts
- Beer, wine and coaktails will be served.
- Wine will be provided by Howard Petrea ‘72
- Saturday, 2 November 2019,
- The Annual Meeting of the Association, Naval Armory Drill Deck. Agenda includes:
- NROTC Unit update from the Commanding Officer and Professor of Naval Science, CAPT Andy Hertel, USN
- Presentation of the Koster, Ledford and Association Scholarships to Midshipmen
- Presentation of the Distinguished Alumnus Award to Lt. Col.James G. Zumwalt, II, USMC (Ret.) '70
- Presentation of the Distinguished Service Award to Association Co-founder, Life Member, Past President and past NROTC Unit CO: CAPT Harold A. "Andy" Bunch, Jr., USN (Ret.)
- Reports from officers and committee chairs
- Elections for all of the Board of Directors for the 2020-2021 term
- No fee is charged for this event, advanced registration required for logistics planning, please use link below. Paid membership required to vote for the candidates for election.
- BBQ tailgate with the Midshipmen and Staff. Naval Armory Front Lawn. Fee applies, please use GAA registration link below to purchase tickets.
- The football game: North Carolina Tar Heels hosts the Virginia Cavaliers at Kenan Stadium. This game is designated as Military Appreciation Day which will include a flyover of US Navy EA-18G Growlers from the Scorpions of VAQ-132. Participating Scorpion aircrew include two UNC NROTC Alumni: Squadron Executive Officer: CDR Kerry P. Hicks '02 (our 2002 Connor Award Recipient) and LT Esther "Zuul" Kangas '14. Game time will be announced 7-10 days prior to game day. The specific Saturday event schedule will pivot on the announced game time.
- Early game time slots (noon-1pm kickoff) will likely result in a 9am or 10 am Annual Meeting and the BBQ will be held after the game,
- Mid-afternoon game time slots (3-4pm kickoff) will likely result in a 10 or 11am Annual Meeting and the BBQ immediately following, before the game.
- Evening game time slots will likely result in a Noon time Annual Meeting with BBQ following.
- Please check our website www.uncnrotcaa.org for game and event time updates as we get closer to game day.
As some of you may be aware, the positive hype surrounding Carolina Football this year has triggered brisk ticket sales. After some negotiation, the alumni association was able to secure a block of tickets in Section 119, for $25 each. My guess is those tickets will not last long. If our block sells out, I will go back to the ticket office and attempt to negotiate more tickets.
Your alumni Association has partnered with the
UNC General Alumni Association (GAA)
to conduct reunion event registration. With this partnership, GAA members are provided a discounted rate on the BBQ lunch.
The registration can for all of the listed events may be found at:
The registration tab is to the left. A menu of events will appear for which you can individually register. As you close out your registration, the opportunity will be provided to pay via credit card.
Further information can be found on the website at uncnrotcaa.org. Please visit often as details and updates will be shared periodically. If difficulties are encountered, please feel free to contact me at
On behalf of your association’s Officers and Board of Directors, I look forward to seeing you this fall for our Annual Meeting and Reunion weekend.
- A block of rooms at the rate of $99.00 + tax has been set aside at the Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel (formerly the Hotel Europa), One Europa Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27517, Tel: 919-968-4900. Click link for reservations. If block is full online, please call hotel directly to reserve and ask for the UNC Navy ROTC group rate.
Election of Directors for the 2020-2021 Term, the Associations 30th Anniversary Year
Elections for Directors to serve for the 2020-2021 Term will take place on Saturday, 2 November 2019 as part of the Association's Annual Meeting. All fourteen director positions are up for election and nine of the incumbent Directors have expressed a willingness to run for re-election.
Pursuant to our By-laws, a Nomination Committee has been formed to propose candidates for election as Director, which recommendations will be published to the membership not later than 30 days prior to the election, or 2 October 2019
The Nomination committee is made up of retiring Directors:
- Eric S. Schneider '86, President
- Willard B. Stubbs '85, Secretary
- S. Jay Plager '52
Regular paid members (Life, Life Installment, Multi-Year, and Annual) are eligible to serve as a Director. The Board customarily meets 3 times a year, the first meeting in March, ordinarily in Chapel Hill, the 2nd meeting in June or July is often conducted by teleconference. The third meeting is customarily in the Fall on or before the Annual Meeting. Board meetings last between 2-4 hours depending on the complexity of the agenda. Directors ordinarily are assigned to serve on at least two committees. Directors in their 2nd or 3rd term often serve as committee chairs or officers of the corporation. A Director can expect to spend 1-2 hours a month on Association work; officers and committee chairs have modest additional workload.
If you are a paid member and would like to serve on the Board of Directors or nominate a candidate for the Board of Directors for the 2020-2021 term, please e-mail the Nominations Committee and the following
Now Hear This: Scuttlebutt!
- No new scuttlebutt for this edition. If you have items you wish to include in the next edition, please submit them via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline below.
The next News Bulletin expected to publish on Wednesday, 2 October 2019. Deadline for input is Sunday, 28 September 2019.
If you haven't already done so, it is time to join or renew your membership for 2019. Membership is by calendar year.
Please become a paid member. We need you!
Most Popular option: Life Membership
GREAT VALUE: 5 YEAR MEMBERSHIP
5 years of membership for the price of four!
Click the green bar below to join renew or upgrade.
Your dues contribution pays for our website, database software, financial management software and the Distinguished Alumnus /Alumna and Distinguished Service Awards; these funds enable us communicate with the graduates so we can host and organize alumni events to support our NROTC Unit and Midshipmen. Dues are for a calendar year.
The Scholarships, Dawson Library and Connor Awards are funded through non-dues contributions.
Events (Annual Meeting & Reunions) are funded on a pay-as-you go basis by event participants.
Thanks to the following alumni (in addition to our 186 living Life Members) who have made the commitment of ongoing support to our Association.
Life members are listed in order of life membership
Current paid members listed by both class year and alphabetically by last name
New Life members for 2019:
- #210 Melanie Kaye Ahle '04
- #211 Parke L. Boneysteele, Staff '85-87
- #212 George C. Wright '92
- #213 Andrew J. Hoffman '99
- #214 Janice M. Hamby '80
- #215 Caleb R. Gill '19
- #216 Ryan P. Smith '19
- #217 Antonio Howard '19
- #218 Cody Lupo '19
- #219 Parker Simpson '19
- #220 George W. Smith, Jr. '85
- #221 Don DeBragga '74
- #222 Troy Jeff Kennedy '87
Life installment members
- Christopher J. Hinson '96
- Mikal J. Phillips '97
- David Pardue '09
Five Year Members for 2019:
- Donald R. Ledford - Staff Alumnus
- Kevin L. Martin - Staff Alumnus
- Stephen Matts - Staff Alumnus
- A. Earle Garrett, III '56
- George Moseley '61
- Chester H. Wilkinson '61
- F. Norman Christopher '65
- Alan V. Monette '65
- Charles J. Wolfe '65
- S. Harbaugh Moore, III '66
- Thomas W. Wright '66
- Robert Young '67
- Ronald B. Bobo '68
- Bryant Byrd '68
- Irvin W Hankins, III '68
- Ronald N. McManus '68
- Robert J. Shade '68
- Andrew J. Arnold '69
- William O. Leonard, III '69
- David A. Fish '70
- James C. Hardee '70
- James Zumwalt '70
- Robert N. Swacker '71
- James Day '73
- Nick Pulignano, Jr. '74
- Michael Clark '75
- Clifton W. Moore, Jr. '76
- Michael Wellman '77
- Steven Briganti '78
- Anthony P. Donaldson '83
- Thomas Brantley Burgiss '84
- Michael J. Dodick '90
- Kent Oglesby '90
- Robert G. "Butch" Bracknell '93
- James W. Hendley '94
- Michael Carreiro '96
- Sarah E. Eason '18
- Tatihana V. Moreno '18
- Samir D. Patel '18
- Thomas J. Singley '18
- Alexander H. Stephenson '18
- Bryan M. Towers '18
- Carlos A. Urquilla '18
2019 Annual Members
- Alec Decker '61
- James A. Thompson '64
- Richard Greenamyer '66
- Joseph Woods '67
- C. Wesley Morgan, Jr. '70
- Robert W. Etheridge, III '71
- Phillip J. Tate '72
- Robert K. Eby, Jr. '73
- Robert Rivers '73
- Margaret E. Karr Jacky '75
- Stephen F. White '75
- Robert E. Smith '82
- James L. Barge '85
- Douglas Montgomery '86
- Richard D. Sampson '86
- Andrew C. Eckert '05
Classes with the most number of Life members: 1985(14); 1986(11); 1959(9); 1987(8)
Classes with most number of total members:1985 (15); 1986(13); 1959 (10), 1970, 1987 and Staff Alumni (8 each);
Classes with no current members: 1962, 2006-2008, 2010, 2013-2016.
It is with deep sadness that the Association reports the passing of our member:
Rear Admiral Robert Cameron Crates, SC, USN (Retired) '63
It is with deep sadness that the Association reports the passing of our Life Member #28:
Edwin Lowrey Hoopes, III '65
As a service to our members, we have created a feature on the website available for paid members entitled
The feature may be found on the Alumni Service and Information Resource tabs of the website. Please notify the Secretary if you know of errors or additional alumni who should be listed here.
If you know of a UNC NROTC Alumnus who has passed away, let us know so that this information may be reported in the News Bulletin under "Taps".
UNC NROTC Alumni Association| Email: email@example.com | Website: www.uncnrotcaa.org
STAY CONNECTED please like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter, click icon below